Old gaming console revival

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    terada said:
    terada said:
    Been playing some n64 myself recently. Brilliant fun, but diddy Kong racing on a flatscreen isn’t particularly pretty!

How is it hooked up? 

I play DKR a fair bit amongst others, Pilotwings 64 still gets a lot of play too. Love my N64

hooked up by the aerial cable thing to a 1080p 32" TV. 

Doesn't look great but still a load of fun!

Just wish the joysticks on the controllers weren't so loose!

Yeah RF is horrible on modern TVs, so is AV.. but AV into scart is great, easily the best way to connect to flatscreen without modding the console.
    AV via scart is just AV. Scart has dedicated pins for it. There is absolutely no difference in picture quality.
    I'm just using the standard AV on the N64 and it looks fine TBH, well, as good as it ever did.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fun fact I nearly made Turok 3.

Not so fun fact. I worked on Carmageddon 64.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have every N64 game ever on an Everdrive 64 cart
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've never really stopped playing PS2 since it came out in 2001.

I also bought an XBox 360 only about six months ago, and love it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    The wife and I do keep a PS2 handy, to play a PS1 game, The Next Tetris, in two player mode for hours at a time, every so often. Alcohol and 90s indie included.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Been enjoying a bunch of older consoles over the past few months.

To be honest though I'm really looking forward to there hopefully being an N64 mini.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    terada said:
    terada said:
    Been playing some n64 myself recently. Brilliant fun, but diddy Kong racing on a flatscreen isn’t particularly pretty!

How is it hooked up? 

I play DKR a fair bit amongst others, Pilotwings 64 still gets a lot of play too. Love my N64

Yeah RF is horrible on modern TVs, so is AV.. but AV into scart is great, easily the best way to connect to flatscreen without modding the console.
    AV via scart is just AV. Scart has dedicated pins for it. There is absolutely no difference in picture quality.
    I'm just using the standard AV on the N64 and it looks fine TBH, well, as good as it ever did.
    You are wrong I am afraid I have done enough troubleshooting to know...

I was miffed at first but I assure you its different, tried on 5 TVs using the same AV lead to AV on tv and then plugged into a scart block and into scart on the TV and all TVs the picture cleaned up via scart.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    terada said:

To be honest though I'm really looking forward to there hopefully being an N64 mini.
    N64 mini? What's that?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:

Gotta love a yellowed SNES :)

conservatory is where I get my retro on..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:
    terada said:
    terada said:

How is it hooked up? 

I was miffed at first but I assure you its different, tried on 5 TVs using the same AV lead to AV on tv and then plugged into a scart block and into scart on the TV and all TVs the picture cleaned up via scart.
    I appreciate your experiences but it doesn't alter the fact that AV composite plugged into a scart connector goes through 3 pins, Audio left in, Audio Right in and Composite in. How you can get a better signal out of exactly the same data and number of contacts is a mystery to me.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    terada said:
    terada said:

How is it hooked up? 

I appreciate your experiences but it doesn't alter the fact that AV composite plugged into a scart connector goes through 3 pins, Audio left in, Audio Right in and Composite in. How you can get a better signal out of exactly the same data and number of contacts is a mystery to me.
    Mystery to me too... all I found out was that 21 pin scart(which my adapter is) can carry 3 different video signals so whether something is happening there as I say I don’t know all I know what I found after numerous tests.

so you are probably not wrong(apologies for saying you were)... but neither am I, so there.... :bleep_bloop: 
  • I have a Sega Megadrive and a pikachu edition n64.

Me and the gf also played through tomb raider 2 and 3 last year on a ps2 :)