Your weird foibles

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
Not a euphemism for ones dangly bits, but do you have 'weird' stuff' going on.

I have a fear of being trapped, which can be set off by strange things - having a dentist screw that metal shape brace onto a tooth - having a car stop in front of me on a narrow country lane when the hedges are high - Things like this set my anxiety alarm bell ringing very quickly and I have to try and calm myself down.

Also, I notice that some two digit numbers feel comfortable or pleasant to me, but others jar horribly and I can't be doing with them. I noticed the other day when changing the volume on my cars digital radio. 23 and 25 are horrible, I just can't stay on them, I HAVE to change. other numbers, 27, 28 are somehow pleasing and reassuring. Other numbers grate or feel good but it only seems to work with two digits, I am pretty indifferent to single numbers or any that are 3+ digits. 

I can't bear the sight of baked beans, salad cream or that disgusting purple beetroot stuff. I don't like looking at them or handling anything with them on eg a plate that someone has been eating off.

I'm very confident and chatty with work colleagues, but I HATE the thought of going out to eat with them, eg some team thing at a restaurant. I'll do anything to get out of it, it seems to fill me with much anxiety for some reason. 

I sometimes wonder if there is a hint of autism with some of these things.

Got any personal weird stuff going on?
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When I make a sandwich, I have to use the sharpest knife we have and it has to be a perfect downward cut (no back and forth sawing motion). If the crust rips, I have to start again! 

It's not quite the same level as you though! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I have a problem with writing the number 5, have since I was a kid, I hate it. We have loads of spoons but there are only 2 (identical) ones I can use to eat with, the same with forks. 

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2018
    I was thinking only earlier today about this sort of thing.

The main thing I can think of is just that I'm a fanatically neat person - I like everything to be just so. My room is always clean and tidy (occasional clutter notwithstanding), I'm incredibly orderly and I hate feeling unclean - there aren't many feelings I dislike more than being sweaty, or feeling dirty and unwashed. I particularly hate getting my hands dirty.

I think a lot of it is just being a neat freak - I don't flip out or start getting depressed if things aren't quite right, but I do notice that I become significantly more irritable and negative - I wonder if this is something mildly OCD related. My ex suffered badly from OCD when she was younger, and said she noticed some of those traits in me - I've never been diagnosed. Weirdly, a sticking point for me in our relationship was how she was totally ok with her room and her general environment being a hideous mess.

The closest thing I have to a phobia, oddly, is of slugs and snails. I would gladly wish them out of existence if I could.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5200
    I click on ‘Withdrawn’ Threads to see what I’m missing out on.... :s
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14750
    axisus said:
    do you have personal weird stuff going on?
    I impersonate Alan Wicca. ;)

Other than that, just the usual middle age decrepitude.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I smell the pages of the new books I read. Massive pleasure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I do something my Dad came up with it in the 80's. It's a drink called 'Fizzy Guinness'.

Order two pints of Guinness at a bar but ask them to "Pour the first pint with the glass straight, flat on the base of the drip tray and just fill it to the top. Don't let it settle and give it to me asap so I can neck it while it's settling."
    It goes down like cream.
    The idea is to finish it before it settles.
    Tell them to serve the second pint as normal and drink it as normal or have a pint of something else, whatever you like.

This both inspires and pisses people off every time I've done it but it tastes amazing.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    Weirdos

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    I'm massively OCD about shopping. Everything must go in the correct bag.  Theres a meat bag, fruit and veg bag, tin bag, etc, etc. It's a disater if I get home and find a packet of rice in the dairy bag.
    I'm not particularly OCD about anything else, just the shopping.

Pretty normal in most other respects, apart from the bodies under the patio.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    Kilgore said:
    I'm massively OCD about shopping. Everything must go in the correct bag.  Theres a meat bag, fruit and veg bag, tin bag, etc, etc. It's a disater if I get home and find a packet of rice in the dairy bag.

But what about weight distribution.   Surely it’s more important to have tins and bottles at the bottom and fruit and yeh at the top???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    WezV said:
    Kilgore said:

But what about weight distribution.   Surely it’s more important to have tins and bottles at the bottom and fruit and yeh at the top???
    Heretic!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited April 2018
    Where do I start?

I can’t stand being late anywhere, for anything, and I get pissed off if others are late. Anything technical, working on the car, and I’ll wake up in the night and mentally run through the job, and the pitfalls. I’ll obsess about getting even niggling little jobs absolutely spot on, as if my life depended on it. Changing guitar strings becomes an exercise planned with military precision, even if I’m shit at playing. I can’t stand clutter anywhere, in the house or garage. I hate any thing that’s unreliable. I have a particular dislike of untidy wiring. I get annoyed when the bloke across the road doesn’t park his car on his drive, choosing instead to park on the road.

I could on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I cannot bear to be in the same room as a noisy eater or someone who chews gum, and I always let them know too.

I'm also absolutely shit scared of ventriloquist dummies.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    Kilgore said:
    WezV said:
    Kilgore said:

Heretic!
    I am assuming you have never had to carry a weekly shop very far
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited April 2018
    @axisus - we share a foible. I too am very confident and chatty with work colleagues, but I HATE the thought of going out to eat with them, eg some team thing at a restaurant. I'll do anything to get out of it, it seems to fill me with much anxiety for some reason.
    Mine also extends to friends as well, meaning that I rarely eat out in a restaurant (and when I have to I REALLY don't enjoy it). I far prefer to cook for myself and eat at home. 
    I do find that this really narks some people - they take it as a personal insult.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    axisus said:

Also, I notice that some two digit numbers feel comfortable or pleasant to me, but others jar horribly and I can't be doing with them. I noticed the other day when changing the volume on my cars digital radio. 23 and 25 are horrible, I just can't stay on them, I HAVE to change. other numbers, 27, 28 are somehow pleasing and reassuring. Other numbers grate or feel good but it only seems to work with two digits, I am pretty indifferent to single numbers or any that are 3+ digits. 

In my last car the climate control had to be set to an even number and it would wind me up if the passanger side was set to a different temp as well. Also, radio volume had to be a multiple of 5 and the clock had to run 8 minutes fast. The climate control obsession has carried over to my latest car but the others don't bother me now.
    Bucket said:
    I particularly hate getting my hands dirty.

Very much this. If I'm doing something that means my hands will get dirty then I'm fine while I'm doing it but I have to wash my hands as soon as I'm done. Handling raw meat, especially chicken, triggers it pretty strongly to the point where I can end up washing my hands several times if I'm cutting up a multiple chicken breasts.

Not a bad habit I guess and the actual act of washing hands after handling meat isn't that unusual (or at least I'd hope not) but I suspect the itch I get in my brain until I've done it probably isn't normal.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    Hate the feel of terracotta pots. Have to don gloves to move them in the garden. 

Thats all.  Move along. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    TheMarlin said:
    Hate the feel of terracotta pots. Have to don gloves to move them in the garden. 

Thats all.  Move along. 
    Me too. And dry towels.

Makes me shudder just thinking about it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I dislike work ‘do’s’ although mostly because you realise the only thing you have in common is work and you spend an evening talking about it. 
    As for my foibles you should probably ask MrsTheWeary, I think she has a list. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    I can’t sleep if the bedroom door is open, goes right back to my childhood.

I keep all the tools in my shed in specific places. This is more to do with old age....my memory is getting worse and if I can’t find things because they’re not in their normal place it drives me absolutely nuts!!