Pickups for PRS CE22

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Adam_MD said:
    The resistors affect the coil splits. Instead of just cancelling out 1 coil altogether it keeps a bit of the cancelled coil in the signal beefing up the single coil sound and makes it a little more hum cancelling. The coil splits sound much better IMO.
    I've tried it with the original dragon iis I had in the guitar and with the replacements I got from Ash and definitely preferred it with the resistors.
    I'm actually toying with supplying matched resistors with my four conductor pickups ... it makes such a difference.
    I would 100% be interested in this.  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11107
    tFB Trader
    Or a high quality 'variable' that could be tuned to the players favorite 'sweet spot'.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    All my PRS guitars have ended up with suhr aldrich pickups....   

I've tried dozens of different models and they just work really well. Lots of sustain, really thick sounding and cut through a mix very nicely. At some point I might go around the merry go round of trying to find something else that works for me but I'd be very impressed with a pickup that sounds better.   

In my V I've got a pair of SSH/DSH and they are also great - not as hot but they can often be found a lot cheaper than the Aldrich models.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    John_P said:
    In my V I've got a pair of SSH/DSH and they are also great - not as hot but they can often be found a lot cheaper than the Aldrich models.
    Aldrich are more expensive to keep Doug in hair conditioner, sparkly vests and abdominal muscles.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OP- buy this:

Not a lot of wire on it but a bit of a bargain.
    Easy to extend the wires.
  • TheGuitarWeasel;196352" said:
    Or a high quality 'variable' that could be tuned to the players favorite 'sweet spot'.
    My only reservation is that this would, for me, be better as a set and forget in the internals, rather than yet another knob to twiddle. I could spend an hour or two fiddling, choose my fave setting for each pickup then just leave it in place.

I'm sure it's fine if you love knobs (oi oi) but in general, I'd rather just flick a switch and get a sound I like.

But if you have any advice, I'll lap it up :D it's the only thing I'd really change on my Ltd I think. You can dial the amp for split tone or humbuggy, but not so great for both.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    If i were to get one that was 53mm and one that was 50mm would it matter?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Not really you'll be fine.
    edited March 2014
    DefaultM said:
    I went from a 50mm in a Tom Anderson to using a 53mm one (the latter being technically 'correct').
    It made no difference whatsoever- I shouldn't have bothered.
    Thanks for the suggestion, just bought some in zebra from another forum member Darren. The description sounds perfect so I'm hoping they live up to it.
  • octatonic said:
    Suhr SSH+ and SSV.
    Great modern rock tones without being too overblown- very versatile, great splits.
    Not miserably expensive either.

I have them in most guitars now.

i agree with octatonic.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    DefaultM said:
    It would look odd if the neck pickup was 53 and the bridge was 50. (No really, you'd be surprised how wrong!) The other way round, fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I think it's the other way round, but as long as they sound right.
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Seymour Duncan whole lotta humbucker
    I just installed one in my strat and its incredibly versatile.
    Supposed to be low output but certainly doesn't feel like.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    I've got a SD Custom in mine.

Nice and chunky, works well with the vol control and (I know you are going for a 3 way switch) but the SD splits really nicely.

If I didn't want quite that much output, I'd have a Pearly Gates any any of the week. 

I've had BKP before and I just haven't been impressed in the slightest.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    OK, slight curveball...how about DiMarzio Transitions? they are standard in the MM L3's and were designed for Lukather.

Absolutely wonderful pickups