Possibly moving to the US - should I ship my amps?

funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
So there is a slight possibility that we will be moving to the US with my job. Still up in the air but its meant that I can't buy anything new.

Rather annoyingly I had a phaez AFD made for me with a 240v psu and shipped over. Had a cab built etc.

So I know I can get a step down transformer and use my amps but is there much point?

I have a purple AC15, lil night train, greta, marshal SL5, 4 different marshal amps plus the Phaez.

I am thinking of bringing the phaez and the SL5. I would then sell the rest and replace once I get to the US.

We would be doing this for a minimum of two years, probably perm if it works out. I don't feel its worth storing this stuff on the off chance we come back.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Up to you really- are work paying the shipping?
    Amps are a cheaper in the US (as are most things), so I would probably sell them and buy new stuff in the US.

I've lived in the US twice now and I did ship my amps over, paid to have them converted to 110v and then back to 230v.
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    octatonic said:
    Amps are a cheaper in the US (as are most things), so I would probably sell them and buy new stuff in the US.

I've lived in the US twice now and I did ship my amps over, paid to have them converted to 110v and then back to 230v.
    We will be getting a container which the amps will go in so it's 6 of 1.... I will probably just bring the ones I know I can't get in the us and sell the rest.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747
    edited March 2014
    Much depends upon the amp's design.
    For instance it would take a tech about 10 minutes to swap the traff in my HT-20 for 115 jobbie. A good 3hrs for an Artisan 30. 

You keep the 230V unit for the homecoming.

And! Anyone with an ID will find the tech has a very easy job. 
    Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Before you do anything, check whether the amps have dual-primary mains transformers. If so they can be converted for 120V operation by swapping a couple of wiring connections inside, without having to replace anything.

For example, the AC15TBX definitely does. Many modern Marshalls (although not all) also do.

If they do, you can easily take them. If not, I might not bother - but if you're going to get a step-up (not down!) transformer for your custom amp anyway, just get one big enough to run any of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    ICBM said:
    Before you do anything, check whether the amps have dual-primary mains transformers. If so they can be converted for 120V operation by swapping a couple of wiring connections inside, without having to replace anything.

For example, the AC15TBX definitely does. Many modern Marshalls (although not all) also do.

If they do, you can easily take them. If not, I might not bother - but if you're going to get a step-up (not down!) transformer for your custom amp anyway, just get one big enough to run any of them.

Just for interest, what effect does the US 60Hz as opposed to 50Hz UK mains have on an amp?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    ESchap said:

Just for interest, what effect does the US 60Hz as opposed to 50Hz UK mains have on an amp?

It makes the transformer slightly more efficient, so the internal voltages may rise very slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    I'd sell it all and buy again in the US. 

Stuff is so much cheaper there and with so much gear around there are plenty of second hand bargains too. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    I'd hate to have to make this decision... on the up side - Burgers are MASSIVE in US...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

sell all the ones you can, and start looking on US ebay now

if you come back you can bring your belongings back tax free, if you've had them for 6 months, and don't sell them for 12 months:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000282#P151_19506

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Take the british made amps and buy replacements for the rest over there.

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 391
    Take the Phaez, sell the rest
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    octatonic said:

Just out of interest how did you ship your amps? 

I am now in the process of selling off stuff and working out what to bring. I am going to bring 4 amps and 3x cabs. I have all the boxes they originally came in so I can easily box up and put extra packing etc. Another thing I am considering is shipping some of my guitars with the amps (for various reasons I can't sell some of the guitars). So I am thinking of just packing everything in a container with all our other crap from the house. The really valuable stuff I will air freight over. 

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    ecc83 said:
    Much depends upon the amp's design.
    For instance it would take a tech about 10 minutes to swap the traff in my HT-20 for 115 jobbie. A good 3hrs for an Artisan 30. 

You keep the 230V unit for the homecoming.

And! Anyone with an ID will find the tech has a very easy job. 
    Dave.
    3 hrs?????