Ernie ball vs d'addario

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    edited May 2018
    Used to swear by D'addario but now I don't really care. I don't sweat that much so strings last me a while anyway and I can't tell the difference in tone or feel. I get Elixirs now and then because I like how they feel but too expensive.

I should just buy those £3 Legacy sets as they feel the same too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • D'addarios for me. Used EB's for the past 20 years but have found they rust quickly, sometimes before they're even out the packet. Changed to D'addarios last year and never had problem. No broken strings and they always sound good and stay in good condition. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    D'Addario. The most consistent, long-lasting and best-sounding of the big brands for me.

I prefer DRs and Newtones though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1044
    used EBs for years as D'Addarios always sounded duller, but about a year ago tried the NYXL ones and they're superb. Lot more expensive but feel a lot better and keep the 'new string' feeling for ages. Just gigged three nights in a row with a set when I'd normally change them each night, and they still sound good.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
    I find dadds harder to keep in tune than EBs but they feel nicer and sound fine. I wish they did an 11 set with plain G and an E bigger than 52 but their 11-52 set is working for me lately. I also wish they were as cheap as EBs!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    D'addario or Fender. But wrapping two strings together in the pack is annoying!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1122
    Was a long time D'addario user but switched to Ernie's and never looked back. They're brighter for me and although they don't last as long I prefer them to DD's. Tried switching back but just didn't like them. Can't describe why but I just didn't!

I use the regulars for my Fenders in standard tuning, Skinny top heavy bottom (10-52's) for my Les Paul that sees drop d and c tunings and the Not Even Slinky set (12-56) for drop b stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    dwheeldo said:
    I use EB 11s on electrics, and have done for donkeys’ years. Even when they get old they still sound pretty good plugged in (to my ears at least). But I use D’Addarios on my acoustic and they’re great too.

I can’t bloody stand Elixirs - to me they feel slimy and sound a bit unbalanced, thin and weedy. Played in strings should sound more ‘woody’ in my view!
    Try a set of the new Elixir Optiwebs - the "slimy" feel of the older ones is gone and to me at least, they sound and feel pretty much like uncoated strings now with the obvious advantage of lasting much longer. They sound different now too, not thin at all but actually rather woody instead.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I always liked Ernie Ball strings.  Whenever I first started playing they were the only brand that I could get a hold of easily and I have stuck with them ever since.  I tried some D'Addario once, when I got them for free, and I found they turned lifeless and dull very quickly, which is what a lot of people say about Ernie Balls.  

I haven't had any problems with Ernie Ball strings breaking on me in years.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1777
    Out of the two I'd say d'addario but my go to brand for years has been Elixir coated. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    EB Beefy Slinkies on Gibsons and Power Slinkies on Fenders
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    Daddarios for me. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    D'addarios for me, mainly for the coloured ball ends.  A flash of colour in an otherwise boring bit of guitar.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Isn't it strange. The majority feedback is pro d'addario for longevity, reliability and consistent tone and that EB are not favoured for the reverse reason. Yet there are still a number of posters who's experience is the complete reverse, favouring EB because of longevity.  Weird that there's such a difference in views of these two big name makes.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I settled on D'Ads nearly 30 yrs ago. Haven't tried anything else since.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    Whatever is on special!

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Voxman said:
    Isn't it strange. The majority feedback is pro d'addario for longevity, reliability and consistent tone and that EB are not favoured for the reverse reason. Yet there are still a number of posters who's experience is the complete reverse, favouring EB because of longevity.  Weird that there's such a difference in views of these two big name makes.
    It's easy for us to make judgements based on small numbers of personal experiences.

E.g. I bought a set of multi-coloured coated strings (DR) and one of them snapped while I was putting them on so I didn't get to use it. I looked on Youtube for them and found a review video - he never got to do the review because one snapped while stringing it. So my impression is that these strings are terrible, they don't even last being stringed!

It could quite possibly just be those 2 sets out of the (presumably) hundreds or thousands that get made. Might even be 2 from the same bad batch with the rest being fine. But through my very limited experience, I've judged that it surely can't be a coincidence that both did that.

Same thing, possibly to a lesser degree, with most peoples' experience I'd imagine - I doubt many people are testing significant numbers of strings from different brands and having a significant number of problems with one specific brand but not the other. 

I can't help but do this kind of thing with brands in all areas, partly because it's the little information we can use when we have little expertise in a field. I've had a hard drive from one company fail, maybe a couple fail so avoid that company; had a few from a different company that have lasted a long time so stick to that brand in the future. The numbers I've had compared to the numbers that get made are completely insignificant statistically but I think it's natural for us to think like that.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    I use both. D'addarios on Strats and EBs on my L.P.. I prefer the tension of D'addarios on the longer scale. They last about the same length of time for me. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    Mickeyji said:
    dwheeldo said:
    I use EB 11s on electrics, and have done for donkeys’ years. Even when they get old they still sound pretty good plugged in (to my ears at least). But I use D’Addarios on my acoustic and they’re great too.

I can’t bloody stand Elixirs - to me they feel slimy and sound a bit unbalanced, thin and weedy. Played in strings should sound more ‘woody’ in my view!
    Try a set of the new Elixir Optiwebs - the "slimy" feel of the older ones is gone and to me at least, they sound and feel pretty much like uncoated strings now with the obvious advantage of lasting much longer. They sound different now too, not thin at all but actually rather woody instead.
    I've not tried the Optiwebs... maybe I'll give 'em a try once I've worked my way through the box of EBs I've got.