Getting some new pickups: Bare Knuckle or Oil City/Creamery?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2459
    DefaultM said:
    The Forces Sweethearts seemed a bit cleaner and rounder to me. I didn't keep them for long though. I got them in black open coil and liked them so much I wanted to order some with gold covers, however I then made so little on resale that I couldn't afford. 

I would say to get in touch and explain what you want. Resale is low, but at the same time I've never resold a set that I got in touch about first because they've always been what I wanted.
    Very interesting, thank you!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 323
    @timmypix ;I've had both Pat Pend sets, the '59 Slab Board and '63 Veneer. I wouldn't mind trying the Mother's Milk set but I'm really happy with the Pre-BS 62 in the '59 Strat.. good excuse for another Strat!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    @timmypix ;   my Bernie acoustically has a low mid voice. It's noticeable compared to my other guitars but I have to say it sounds really good with stock pickups. I don't know if that low mid is assisting the electric voice but it sounds very balanced through an amp. 
    I have a lot of good pickups lying around but I am resisting getting the soldering iron out.

Good luck with your search and as we own the same guitar I am interested in the outcome!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11515
    timmypix said:
    TA22GT said:
    timmypix said:
    Oh I know I like the Mules, I had them for 3 years! I'm more asking if I'll get similar results at a lower cost from elsewhere - the OCP Forces Sweetheart looks very similar, for example.
    I understand now but if it were me and I knew I liked a certain pickup I would just buy it again and cut out the taking a chance bit.
    Then again I like to take risks!!
    Well I do have a slight concern that the Bernie is a bit brighter acoustically; it sounds balanced by itself but compared to my other guitars it's lacking in the bass and mids, so I'm wondering whether there's a Mule-alike that's maybe a bit darker without going to the fatter and hotter Abraxas. But I guess that's where being able to talk to the winder directly comes in!

Mules can be a bit bright - especially if they are unpotted.  I had a pair of unpotted ones I put in a Tokai.  They were good, but they didn't blow me away.

If it's a brighter guitar acoustically, they may or may not work.  I had a Custom Shop Les Paul that I bought basically because it was the lightest all solid Les Paul I'd come across.  It had a lot of top end in it, and not a lot of mid range meat, and even when I changed the bridge pickup, that remained the case.

The response of the pickups will definitely depend on the guitar.  I'd buy second hand and experiment with whatever is available.  If you don't like it then sell them on again and try something different without losing too much money.

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I picked up a set of Wizz PAFs and they are amazing, but then I got them 2nd hand and new price is a bit eye watering. 

I’ve had a few sets from the Creamery - firebird mini hums, a strat set, strat p90 set and some jazz master pickups. Can be a little bit of a lead time but all advertised up front and great comms. Most importantly his pickups are consistently excellent. No gamble at all in going to them. 

Oil City also always good. 

Never really got on with bareknuckles for some reason but then I’ve only ever had them  pre-installed  on guitars bought 2nd hand, so probably just reflective of it not being my choice of pickup. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1643
    If you are looking for someone to make a brilliant, classic Humbucker why not try @Van_Hayden and a set of his Bulldog pickups. 

Hands down they are the best set that I’ve tried. Where abouts are you located? 
    edited May 2018
    @strat84 well that's a solid recommendation/comparison, thank you very much!

@TA22GT I'll keep you posted for sure! I do find the variation across the same model fascinating; mine was a blind buy as finding a Trampas Green one was bloody impossible.

@crunchman I'd be going for potted and covered Mules so that would help tame them a bit. It's weird, the guitar sounds very well balanced on its own, but then I pick up my Les Paul or my LTD and there's a whole load of "oomph" that I didn't realise I was missing.

@shaunm The Bulldogs do look very interesting! The only problem is finding someone who's had them and the Bare Knuckles for comparison's sake. The Vintage PAF does appear to be very similar to the Mule/Forces Sweetheart spec-wise, but it depends on the voicing and the wind. The 67 Strat set looks great too, and at a good price. Again with the Strat, without being able to do direct comparisons it'll probably just come down to ringing everyone!
    Tim
    @timmypix I can give you that comparison as I have two Epiphone Sheraton’s one with Bare knuckles in and another with Bulldogs pickups. Actually as the BKP are an older set so Hayden (who used to make BKPs) could have made mine.

I have nothing bad to say about either set, both are brilliant. Hayden’s Bulldog pickups are the best vintage sounding set I’ve tried. I couldn’t tell you exactly what they are based on (as I tried a few and chose the ones I wanted) but the clarity and note definition is perfect. You can’t go wrong with either but Hayden’s are more reasonable and helps a fellow member of this forum.

But, that aside they sound amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @shaunm ; wow, thank you! Don't suppose I could trouble you for a bit more detail? How do the respective bridge and neck pickups compare in terms of EQ/voicing?
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    @shaunm ; wow, thank you! Don't suppose I could trouble you for a bit more detail? How do the respective bridge and neck pickups compare in terms of EQ/voicing?
    That’s a tough one to answer as it’s very much Vintage. They are very well balanced. In fact when I was with Hayden discussing what I wanted my specific was that the neck pickup would not be “boomy” or too dark - it’s not at all, which is perfect for my use. 
    shaunm said:
    timmypix said:
    @shaunm ;; wow, thank you! Don't suppose I could trouble you for a bit more detail? How do the respective bridge and neck pickups compare in terms of EQ/voicing?
    That’s a tough one to answer as it’s very much Vintage. They are very well balanced. In fact when I was with Hayden discussing what I wanted my specific was that the neck pickup would not be “boomy” or too dark - it’s not at all, which is perfect for my use. 
    Cool! To put it another way then, you say the Bulldogs are the best - what is it about them that gives them the edge over the Mules? Cost aside, that is.
    Tim
  • DanDan Frets: 448
    strat84 said:
    @timmypix ;I've had both Pat Pend sets, the '59 Slab Board and '63 Veneer. I wouldn't mind trying the Mother's Milk set but I'm really happy with the Pre-BS 62 in the '59 Strat.. good excuse for another Strat!  :)
    Just out of interest and sorry to hijack the thread slightly, how do the 59 slab and 63 veneer compare to each other?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    I've been looking at pickups too but I must admit they all start to sound the same after a while. It's like one needs to hear a really crap pickup to appreciate a damn good one ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    @Dan Quite similar really. A bit more bass from the '63's and also a bit more output. The '59 set are sweeter sounding but they were a bit 'polite' to be honest. 
    @strat84 so you prefer the '63s to the '59s, and then the Pre-BS62s to the '63s due to them being a bit less scooped, is what I'm gathering? Sounds good!
    Tim
    @timmypix That's it yeah! The fact that they are less scooped works well with the amps I use, all Blackface style! 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11092
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    The Forces Sweethearts seemed a bit cleaner and rounder to me. I didn't keep them for long though. I got them in black open coil and liked them so much I wanted to order some with gold covers, however I then made so little on resale that I couldn't afford. 

I would say to get in touch and explain what you want. Resale is low, but at the same time I've never resold a set that I got in touch about first because they've always been what I wanted.
    I would probably have given you a better trade in deal than you would get trying to sell them! Always
    ask :-)
    Ash
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message