Car stereos - why are they so poor sounding?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• oafoaf Frets: 301
    Someone I know of bought a car secondhand and didn't like the (base) stereo so retrofitted the upgrade. Here's a picture of the wiring loom and bits needed...

I (kind of!) admire his dedication but wouldn't enjoy getting all that stuff in a finished car, removing trim and so on. Easyish when you know how maybe?

It did make me realize though that manufacturers aren't going to bother to fit a stereo like the one above as standard if two full range speakers in the front and two in the back will do the job for most people. And most people have to rent the car they're driving anyway so if manufacturers can make them cheaper(/increase profits at the same price point) they will.

The stereo above is for a small car - Audi A3.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    oaf said:
    Someone I know of bought a car secondhand and didn't like the (base) stereo so retrofitted the upgrade. Here's a picture of the wiring loom and bits needed...

I (kind of!) admire his dedication but wouldn't enjoy getting all that stuff in a finished car, removing trim and so on. Easyish when you know how maybe?

It did make me realize though that manufacturers aren't going to bother to fit a stereo like the one above as standard if two full range speakers in the front and two in the back will do the job for most people. And most people have to rent the car they're driving anyway so if manufacturers can make them cheaper(/increase profits at the same price point) they will.

The stereo above is for a small car - Audi A3.
    Hell's teeth!  It wouldn't be so much removing the trim that bothered me, it'd be getting it back on again without it all rattling like gravel in a tin bucket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    My ears must be getting old but the stereo on my Volvo V70 is the absolute bollox. 

The other point is I can't see the worth of spending megabucks on a decent car stereo as the intrusion of road/wind/traffic noise will ruin your aspiration of sonic nirvana unless you're sat still not going anywhere in which case you'd be better off listening at home? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Wolfetone said:
    My ears must be getting old but the stereo on my Volvo V70 is the absolute bollox. 

The other point is I can't see the worth of spending megabucks on a decent car stereo as the intrusion of road/wind/traffic noise will ruin your aspiration of sonic nirvana unless you're sat still not going anywhere in which case you'd be better off listening at home? 

I remember Chris Rea saying that although he owned several Ferraris he preferred driving a Volvo because the stereo was excellent.

Our Jag’s got a Meridian system fitted as standard. It’s not bad, the separate tweeters and subwoofer improve the sound to some extent. The radio side of it still sounds a bit wooly on certain stations, presumably they’re compressed to hell. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    Part of the problem is clean headroom. The average car stereo sits after a 10 amp fuse.
    So max of 120W power draw.
    Split that by 4 speakers you are only looking at 30W per speaker. In what is a very loud environment.
    Add in the fact that the radio and all those fancy lights are drawing power as well and you have even less power available. Then cheap inefficient speakers in really bad enclosures 
    you are going to end up with pretty rubbish and distorted sound
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    To be fair my Honda stereo was loud enough that Wolf Alice on R1 drowned out an irate black cab driver shouting at me to get out of the car yesterday at the lights of J2 of the M40 yesterday.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    My old Volvo audio sys sounds pretty good.  Good and loud enough for me anyway.   Though I'd love a new Volvo 90 series just for the sound system alone.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I just listened to the Mark Levinson system in my Dad's Friend's new Lexus LC, that sounded amazing, easily the best in car system I've heard.
  • danodano Frets: 1610
    I hear Russ Andrews is moving into electric car charging leads. It gives you more miles per charge.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    I gotta be honest, the stereo in my Golf is excellent and so was the one in the BMW 4-series convertible I rented recently.

I don't see the point in spending silly money on a car stereo when you'll never remove all the engine/wind/tyre noise anyway.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I gotta be honest, the stereo in my Golf is excellent and so was the one in the BMW 4-series convertible I rented recently.

I don't see the point in spending silly money on a car stereo when you'll never remove all the engine/wind/tyre noise anyway.
    And the sound of your passengers screaming..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    I gotta be honest, the stereo in my Golf is excellent 
    I went for the Dynaudio upgrade in mine. Its actually pretty good  though the sub needs turning down from the default.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited May 2018
    Sporky said:
    I gotta be honest, the stereo in my Golf is excellent 
    I went for the Dynaudio upgrade in mine. Its actually pretty good  though the sub needs turning down from the default.
    Mine was dealer-specced, so i'm not sure if it's the base stereo or an upgrade. Obviously it needs a bit of EQ. I don't think I've ever got in a car that wasn't set with too much bass by default.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    NelsonP said:
    Mine sounds great, just ask the rest of the neighbourhood:D

Kool !
    ... and the gang.

And the sound of your passengers screaming..
    Naturally, but the *really* loud ones are usually tied to the roof!