That Pedal Show... cure for insomnia?

What's Hot

Comments

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 221
    thegummy said:
    What is this "silent episode" everyone's talking about?
    The first rule of the silent episode is, we don't talk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 226
    It's a complete snooze-fest for me. Too much nonsensical adjective-ridden dialogue. I really think people have gone way too far with the whole tone chasing/pedal hunting malarkey and TPS is the culmination of it. I think they'd be far better demo-ing specific pedals in a concise, informative 5 minute short that shows how the pedal performs both unaccompanied and in a band situation, a la Pete Thorne...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304
    Doesnt offend me in the least; still watch a fair few of them. There is something strangely relaxing about the incredibly slow pace of it all - Sunday afternoon TV for the Youtube generation, only presented by two Daytime TV Presenters. Pedalboards Under The Hammer, if you will. 

Doesnt teach you anything, but then, does it have to? - I like Pedals. This has pedals, recorded well. Infinitely less annoying than any of the Andertons ones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Well.

I've never seen it. So I toddled off to watch an episode.

My oh my, what a load of drivel.

Amateurish presenting. Sycophantic meandering claptrap with more overdramatics than Eurovision.

I learned very little. The playing was tedious and formulaic. 

Mr Anderson and his channel is entertaining, well presented, interesting and genuinely worth watching compared to that utter claptrap.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• Mr Anderson and his channel is entertaining, well presented, interesting and genuinely worth watching compared to that utter claptrap.

Im sure Agent Smith disagrees...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

Mr Anderson and his channel is entertaining, well presented, interesting and genuinely worth watching compared to that utter claptrap.

Im sure Agent Smith disagrees...
    Nah he liked it - he always kept turning up to watch after all!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I've watched a few of these over the past 6 months or so but I can't say I'm a huge fan. Neither Mick or Dan is a particularly good presenter and Dan in particular has difficulty in completing a sentence, despite having three or four attempts!

I'm not really a pedal aficionado so maybe I'm missing the point but clicking on overdrive A and eulogising then overdrive B (which sounds only slightly different) and practically orgasming, leaves me a bit cold tbh. The slavish devotion to a narrow selection of amps and an even narrower selection of guitars must limit the appeal to a narrow audience of ageing blues rockers. Not sure how long they can keep this going without a revamp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7700
    That people don't like it doesn't surprise me - there's loads of Guitar stuff on Youtube that I don't like - it's the obsession with complaining about it that does. There must have been a dozen threads on this over the last couple of years. 

They said originally (and since) that they play gear they are interested in, because they want to, and because they can. 

There's a subset of Youtube guitar stuff that is exclusively metal, or shredding, or djent, or... so I don't usually watch it. I don't moan because they choose not to focus on blues and classic rock tones.

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    TimmyO said:
    That people don't like it doesn't surprise me - there's loads of Guitar stuff on Youtube that I don't like - it's the obsession with complaining about it that does. There must have been a dozen threads on this over the last couple of years. 

They said originally (and since) that they play gear they are interested in, because they want to, and because they can. 

There's a subset of Youtube guitar stuff that is exclusively metal, or shredding, or djent, or... so I don't usually watch it. I don't moan because they choose not to focus on blues and classic rock tones.

Exactly, each episode gets 50k + hits and the comments section is probably the most coherent, respectful and well behaved of anything on YouTube. They have a very sizeable audience so reports of their impending demise seems unfounded.

Biggest thing that gets me though, people on here seem to think whatever musical genre they are listening to is superior to the blues. I’m not a massive blues fan at all but looking down your nose at someone’s taste in music is usually indicative of musical narrow-mindedness in itself, the big criticism labelled at the TPS guys. Convince yourself you’re on a higher musical plain by all means....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited May 2018
    I can't watch TPS, way too slow. I've never made it beyond the first minute. Even the intro is annoyingly slow. 

Chappers and the Captin think they're funnier than they are. But I do like Sounds like on Andertons, they're worth watching imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Fuck me 1h 20mins ? Ive got better things to do.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    dindude said:
    TimmyO said:

Exactly, each episode gets 50k + hits and the comments section is probably the most coherent, respectful and well behaved of anything on YouTube. They have a very sizeable audience so reports of their impending demise seems unfounded.

Biggest thing that gets me though, people on here seem to think whatever musical genre they are listening to is superior to the blues. I’m not a massive blues fan at all but looking down your nose at someone’s taste in music is usually indicative of musical narrow-mindedness in itself, the big criticism labelled at the TPS guys. Convince yourself you’re on a higher musical plain by all means....
    I don't think it's about musical superiority, I like the blues, BB King and John Lee Hooker were big reasons I got into electric guitar, it's just more that in terms of pedals, using blues as a frame of reference is really limiting. Blues is hardly known for it's avaunt-guarde textures, or even more than a fairly mild use of other fx, It's a pretty simple form based on a few easy(ish) to get tones and 4 or 5 types of dirt box, of which there are countless iterations, will get you almost anything ever recorded.

Sure, the pedal shows has done, or tried to do more than that but whilst I enjoy it for what it is, damn it could be so much more. I'd really like to see them branch out by interviewing some really heavy pedal users and get them to discuss the approach to fx vs tone.

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I find it kinda relaxing in a Bob Ross kinda way - I know what to expect (or not what to expect) but I very rarely make it through a whole episode. Yes also the endless ecstatic grins when they play a standard blues lick through a Fender Tumbleweed 1961 Deluxe II every week makes me wince.

I much prefer watching Pedals & Effects with Nick Reinhart and Juan Alderete.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    Dopesick said:

I agree. Haven't those guys been doing it longer as well? More of a 'lets mess about and make noise' which I like.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7304
    ^ see, I love NR, but something about JA gets on my tits a bit. 

Its probably the bass. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    There’s an Australian guy called In The Blues who reviews pedals. I like his channel. He gets it done in less than ten minutes. And because he’s on his own there isn’t any ‘crap Best Man wedding speech banter.’ Anyone else know who I’m talking about?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    AlexC said:
    There’s an Australian guy called In The Blues who reviews pedals. I like his channel. He gets it done in less than ten minutes. And because he’s on his own there isn’t any ‘crap Best Man wedding speech banter.’ Anyone else know who I’m talking about?
    Yes. One I try to avoid along with Schnobal tone. Both seem to have great skill in making any pedal sound like arse.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    They definitely need to change things up a bit, as it's dull watch. All be it that their enthusiasm is 10/10.

Maybe sex things up a bit by introducing some Ring Girls like in boxing. They could score the pedals, or walk across the screen at 2 minute intervals warning us how much longer we have to endure it.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    AlexC said:

I like him. Genuine.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Dopesick said:

I agree. Haven't those guys been doing it longer as well? More of a 'lets mess about and make noise' which I like.
    Since 2013 I think...but yeah, it's just 15-20 minute videos of them going nuts with noise boxes. No finesse and no time wasting. The Ottobit Jr and Digitech Spacestation demos are well worth a watch.