Speaker advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303

shaunm said:
    Are golds warm sounding like a green? In my head I have them down as being really loud and clear.
    I paired a Gold with an EV and it worked exceptionally well in an open back oversize 2x12. Both very loud and very clear, very much a gigging setup. The gold can be a bit strident and definitely a little fatiguing on the ear if you're standing in range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    A 2x12 of golds in my vox cab sounded fantastic with a jmp50 combo plugged into them. So good I carted that setup to a few gigs a few years ago.

It's actually the best I ever heard golds sound - anywhere else, I've ultimately found them a strange combination of reedy, harsh, and muddy; too much loose low end. And I *really* tried to like them, I think I've had about 8 of them over the last 6 years.

The Cream Alnico, on the other hand... absolutely amazing. I can't recommend that speaker enough. It's exactly like a more powerful blue, with a little more punch. Same attack, same basic midrange voice... lovely speakers.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @ICBM this might be a silly question but I’ve been offered some speakers at 55hz and some at 75hz? Will I notice a difference?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    shaunm said:
    @ICBM this might be a silly question but I’ve been offered some speakers at 55hz and some at 75hz? Will I notice a difference?
    You'll hear a 20 Hz difference!!.  ;) =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Voxman said:
    shaunm said:
    You'll hear a 20 Hz difference!!.  ;) =)
    I cant even hear when I’m playing the wrong chord so I’m not sure i will ha
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I’ve never really understood pairing a G12H-30 with a V30...
    Because it sounds really good, I have two  2x12 with this configuration. The G12H has to be in the top position and that is the sound you hear most - still not what I would pair with a JTM45

JTM45 through a Cream Alnico is very very good and is what I have in my combo, I am not a fan of the gold Alnico

Also nice through a 2 x 12 G12M greenback loaded cab I have, more woody, but I still prefer the creamback tone.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72541
    ICBM said:
    I’ve never really understood pairing a G12H-30 with a V30...
    Because it sounds really good, I have two  2x12 with this configuration. The G12H has to be in the top position and that is the sound you hear most - still not what I would pair with a JTM45
    That might explain it - I've only heard it side-by-side, and never thought it sounded that good, just a bit 'off' compared to two of each rather than properly mixed. Maybe it helps if you can't really hear the V30 :).

I much prefer a Greenback to go with a G12H-30, and a Classic Lead (especially) or a G12T-75 to go with a V30.

(Sorry, found an old draft and wondered why I didn't post this at the time!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein