Tolex removal?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3550
Pretty much a should I or shouldnt I post. Ive seen these old Peavey amps have nice pine cabs, nice joints in the wood and stuff. My olex is a bit crap, torn, stained and my grille cloth is torn. What kinf of effort is there in removing old tolex? Is it a pain?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3550
    Cant be as much effort as typing with your thumb on a dmall phonr screen?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    I've never done it, but I'd guess a pallet knife and a hot air gun would do it. 

It's probably more difficult to get the remaining glue off I'd imagine. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I did it on an old cab where the tolex was shabby. 

It came off easier than expected and sanded up really well. I retolexed it - which was far more of a bugger to be honest.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    I used a hair dryer and a wallpaper scraper. 80% came off in 10 minutes, the bits round the areas the amp gets hot took quite a while and came off in tiny bits and was a bit of a faff.  Sanding the old glue off took a while too.

Opposite of Bridgehouse as I found re-covering the easy bit but I used a tweedy type material and it went on great, I used evostick solvent free adhesive stuck to both sides, let dry then applied.
  • peachespeaches Frets: 45
    I stupidly didn’t think to heat it, but got the tolex off my 70s no brand (possibly Marshall PA) cabs with peeling and scraping. I think a newer amp would be a cleaner job. 

In other words, go for it, you can’t really mess up if you have aggressive enough sandpaper and a good arm. 

+1 on the evostick too if you’re recovering, but I bet the bare pine would be awesome too. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3550
    I am thinking just leaving it bare, perhaps a good coat of beeswax. The hardware like the corners and handle are rusted and battered and I kind if like that, although I am toying with a red tolex which might look quite nice too.