Cool guitar body, the like of which I haven't seen before

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
Maybe it's not new to some of you but I haven't seen anything like this before, it appears to be some kind of tasty wood encased in resin. I think it looks fantastic, it's probably the most original thing I've seen in ages.  

Stone Wolf Guitars, Poisonwood catalyst 7

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Astonishingly beautiful. 

Thanks for posting that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1057
    I really don't like superstrat type guitars at all and seven strings is just wrong, but yeah.. That's bloody beautiful! 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    Nice bit of "Tone" resin there ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7057
    edited May 2018
    They were at the guitar show last year. Looked amazing, it’s interesting wood pieces cast in resin then machined. I recall they were fairly heavy though.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73112
    Very interesting... but it's a shame they ruined it by having the top strap button screw in a clear part not a wooden part, with what looks like a rawlplug - it just looks ugly.

Sorry, maybe picky but it was the very first thing I noticed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    I was just about to post this exact thread! The guitar came up on Facebook this morning and I've been looking at a lot of their stuff since, but this is the best one (IMO).

A British builder who has been at guitar shows so has anyone here played one?
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    DiscoStu said:
    I was just about to post this exact thread! The guitar came up on Facebook this morning and I've been looking at a lot of their stuff since, but this is the best one (IMO).

A British builder who has been at guitar shows so has anyone here played one?
    Indeed. They are a regular at The Birmingham Show, snd Ive seen them elsewhere. Always get a chance to talk.

Stone Wolf primarily cater for the Avenged Sevenfold & Dream Theatre type crowds, so thats why their hardware is what it is, and the general superstrat leanings.

Agree with @ICBM ;regarding the detailing for the forward strap button. I’d attribute that as a one off, and if brought to their attention, I’m pretty sure they’d take the criticism in board, and not repeat it. Remember, every one of their guitars is different, even if they run with a few standard shapes. The wood-resin thing is their USP.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Are they stupidly heavy?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Very interesting... but it's a shame they ruined it by having the top strap button screw in a clear part not a wooden part, with what looks like a rawlplug - it just looks ugly.

Sorry, maybe picky but it was the very first thing I noticed.
    Ah, see my eye was drawn to that but I assumed it was some kind of hanger it was on but now you point it out I see it's a part of the guitar - not nice at all.

Apart from that though, the rest of it looks amazing.

How would resin fare regarding tone though?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    the wood set in Resin is very on trend in Furniture design at the moment .....Heals have some Timothy Oulton side tables done like this ...........it was only a matter of time I guess
    Pauls Private Stock Resin coming to a Guitar Shop near you soon.....................looks great tho'
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Dominic said:
    the wood set in Resin is very on trend in Furniture design at the moment .....Heals have some Timothy Oulton side tables done like this ...........it was only a matter of time I guess
    Pauls Private Stock Resin coming to a Guitar Shop near you soon.....................looks great tho'
    At three grand(ish) apiece, you’ll need to choose carefully.
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    That's stunning, a really nice twist on the old acrylic guitar idea.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    Gizmo said:
    not sure if the intention was to prod the bear or not, but i think the structural and tonal side of these is worthy of discussion.

Stonewolf are using burls - very unstable pieces  of wood with few structural properties... But once set in acrylic they will be everything Theresa May claims.   

Its an inconsistent natural material massively  enhanced by a consistent artificial one... tonally, it will be  much nicer than one made out of a similar piece of untreated burl

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Gizmo said:
    not sure if the intention was to prod the bear or not, but i think the structural and tonal side of these is worthy of discussion.

Stonewolf are using burls - very unstable pieces  of wood with few structural properties... But once set in acrylic they will be everything Theresa May claims.   

Its an inconsistent natural material massively  enhanced by a consistent artificial one... tonally, it will be  much nicer than one made out of a similar piece of untreated burl

I've heard this before about the "infected" wood types being structurally weak which is a shame cause some of them look amazing, especially the spalted maple.

How would the tone of resin actually compare to something like maple, mahogany or alder though?

Would it only be advisable on a "shred machine" with hot modern pickups?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    edited May 2018
    Spalteed maple can vary from just discolouration to stuff with the consistency of a sponge.... its just a case of choosing the right bit and dealing with any weakness appropriately.  Burl is almost always weaker than straight grained wood.... wood gets its strength from the grain alignment, burl has no consistent grain

I imagine these sound similar to other acrylic based guitars like the Dan Armstrong Lucite models, depends how much the acrylic impregnates the wood..   How does it compare to other woods? well for one thing its a lot more predictable.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Spalteed maple can vary from just discolouration to stuff with the consistency of a sponge.... its just a case of choosing the right bit and dealing with any weakness appropriately.  Burl is almost always weaker than straight grained wood.... wood gets its strength from the grain alignment, burl has no consistent grain
    Sees like a sensible thing to do would be to have just a spalted maple veneer on top of a normal maple cap then you could get the nice looks but without relying on the stability
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    It's not going to relic very well though, is it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Hmm wonder if you could make a 335 like that.  Guess would require shaped moulds for each part