Cool guitar body, the like of which I haven't seen before

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    WezV said:
    Gizmo said:
    Nice bit of "Tone" resin there ;)

Stonewolf are using burls - very unstable pieces  of wood with few structural properties... But once set in acrylic they will be everything Theresa May claims.   

"Bloody impossible"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    WezV said:
    Gizmo said:
    not sure if the intention was to prod the bear or not, but i think the structural and tonal side of these is worthy of discussion.

Stonewolf are using burls - very unstable pieces  of wood with few structural properties... But once set in acrylic they will be everything Theresa May claims.   

Its an inconsistent natural material massively  enhanced by a consistent artificial one... tonally, it will be  much nicer than one made out of a similar piece of untreated burl

Haha Caught out ;) Im not a believer in the mystical "tone"  part of tone wood (just take a look at the cardboard strat that well sounds like....a strat...but then again isn't cardboard wood....i jest !)

Ive worked with a few burl tops and they suck up CA/Hardener like a sponge,worth the effort to work with though as they do look very cool,Got to agreen on the raw plug strap pin...ugly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17000
    mbe said:
    WezV said:
    Gizmo said:

"Bloody impossible"?
    I was going for “strong and stable”
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Gizmo said:
    WezV said:
    Gizmo said:
    not sure if the intention was to prod the bear or not, but i think the structural and tonal side of these is worthy of discussion.

Its an inconsistent natural material massively  enhanced by a consistent artificial one... tonally, it will be  much nicer than one made out of a similar piece of untreated burl

Haha Caught out ;) Im not a believer in the mystical "tone"  part of tone wood (just take a look at the cardboard strat that well sounds like....a strat...but then again isn't cardboard wood....i jest !)

Ive worked with a few burl tops and they suck up CA/Hardener like a sponge,worth the effort to work with though as they do look very cool,Got to agreen on the raw plug strap pin...ugly
    I won't reply to it to as to avoid turning this into a tonewood thread but could you provide a link to these cardboard Strat videos?
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    WezV said:
    mbe said:
    WezV said:
    Gizmo said:

"Bloody impossible"?
    I was going for “strong and stable”
    If only she could walk the walk as well  ;)
    Bugger... somehow managed to start a tonewood and politics thread in 1.  The forum may implode
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1615

not my thing. but filled with luminescence. Fraser guitar
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markblack said:

not my thing. but filled with luminescence. Fraser guitar
    I recently got the fret marker dots on my bass filled in with this kind of material so I can see where the frets are on a dark stage
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    thegummy said:
    I won't reply to it to as to avoid turning this into a tonewood thread but could you provide a link to these cardboard Strat videos?
    Sure here ya go....check out what the guys at fender have to say about it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oo2H-W7d6A

Gizmo said:
    thegummy said:

That is so fuckin cool.

The video has absolutely no relevance to the whole tonewood debate but it's very cool none the less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    Gizmo said:
    thegummy said:

That is so fuckin cool.

The video has absolutely no relevance to the whole tonewood debate but it's very cool none the less.
    We need to stop referring to it as a tonewood debate and start calling it “The materials affect on tone debate”.  

Not because of that vid, or the Stonewolf guitars... but because they always get used as evidence for the body material not affecting tone.