Pro Junior Blonde 1995?

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
Anyone got any experience/opinions on these little pocket rockets?  Been offered one in a partial trade for something and pondering it.  I presume it's nothing like a Champ, save in looks: more like a baby Hot Rod Deluxe?

All observations gratefully received, as ever.
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9850
    I had one, lovely little amp albeit a little bit hissy - don't think they all area just depends on luck of the draw I think. Main reason I got rid was that it only did clean quietly and drive loudly which is the exact opposite of my use case. It doesn't sound like a Hot Rod, sounds a million times better than a Blues Junior, not played a champ to know on that one.

I don't think there is anything different about the Tweed version of the Pro Junior Fromm the standard black one apart from the livery
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I had one, lovely little amp albeit a little bit hissy - don't think they all area just depends on luck of the draw I think. Main reason I got rid was that it only did clean quietly and drive loudly which is the exact opposite of my use case. It doesn't sound like a Hot Rod, sounds a million times better than a Blues Junior, not played a champ to know on that one.

I don't think there is anything different about the Tweed version of the Pro Junior Fromm the standard black one apart from the livery
    Wiz'd and thank you.  A million times better than a Blues Jr is a good start :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    Ive tried them a few times, too loud for home use I found but great sound. I have a 5 watt champ with 5 f1 circuit and they are not very alike. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    1995 might be a USA made one.
    I used to have this committed to memory but it escapes me now.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    octatonic said:
    Yes it is
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    octatonic said:
    Yes it is
    More valuable then.
    Nice amp, better than the Blues Junior.
    I like doing head conversions or putting them into 12" loaded combos.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9850
    octatonic said:
    JerkMoans said:
    octatonic said:
    Yes it is
    More valuable then.
    Made by Mexicans in America, rather than by Mexicans in Mexico
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    JerkMoans said:
    octatonic said:
    Yes it is
    More valuable then.
    Made by Mexicans in America, rather than by Mexicans in Mexico
    and therefore more valuable.
    I'm not saying it isn't mad. :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    My first one was a blonde 95, it sounded fabulous and was very loud. I gigged it in a seven piece soul band using an attenuator. 

Some of the early ones had a panel screw which was too long and caused a hum by touching the volume pot, although mine was ok. 

They're a little brash sounding but work perfectly in a band mix - just don't expect deep, Fender Twin-style cleans, it's a bit more Vox-like than that. That's through it's own speaker, through a 2x12 it's a glorious sound, much bigger and deeper. There's not much point in doing a head conversion though, it already has a speaker jack and is small and light anyway. 

A word of warning though, they can be addictive and you'll end up wanting to run a pair of them. 
    :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72521
    octatonic said:
    JerkMoans said:
    octatonic said:
    Yes it is
    More valuable then.
    But slightly less well-made than the Mexican one...

Still not bad though - there's less difference with the PJ than the BJ.

If it's very hissy, check that the Zobel filter on the OT primary isn't faulty - either a failed resistor (which will make it hiss) or sometimes a shorted cap (which produces a very low output) is a known issue.

I could be wrong but I think the blonde LE version came with an Eminence alnico speaker, as was fitted to the Bassman reissues of the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1601

I've still got the US made blonde Pro Junior I bought around 94, 95.  It's not a typical Fender circuit, so doesn't do the Fender clean thing.  It's more like a Marshall 18W (though not quite that circuit).  They're loud, and need to be turned up to get the best out of them.  That and the inherent hum/hiss they tend to have means it's not a home/recording amp, but they're a great live blues/rock machine. 

They run the EL84's too hot, on or over the max anode dissipation.  Modding to variable bias and backing it off a bit is a good thing to do.  I've also put better pots and jack in mine and changed some of the passive components for better quality/lower noise.

Having said all that, I'm going to sell mine.  I built a tweed Deluxe recently and hence don't need the Junior anymore - but could do with the funds to pay for the Deluxe!

Oh - look up Jeff Beck videos on YouTube - he sometimes gigs with a pair of them.  The Rock and Roll party video was one occasion.

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 858
    I had one for a while.  I mainly gig a Blues Jr but took this to a couple of gigs (mainly because it was even easier to carry up stairs).  The sounds were great, but at the volume I needed it did tend to break up more then the Blues Jr.  I loved it, the singer said it was too distorted (it wasn't) ;)