Any Marshall Silver Jubliee users or fans out there????? !!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited May 2018 in Amps
I'm "between amps" and my friend has lent me a reissue silver jubilee.
I recorded and gigged with it the other week, but I've only just been able to spend some quality time with it.

I must say I'm reallu impressed with it. The "rythmn clip" gives me those jcm800 ish sounds that I like, and the "lead" channel has more gain than I'd need, but looks like with some volume knob balancing I could use it as a lead boost instaed of just a dirty channel.

Also, the master volume seems to have a more gradual taper on the 1st half of its travel than the JCM800's have, 

I'm enjoying playing it!! It'll be a shame  to give it back!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 858
    I owned one of the originals for many years.  A great sounding amp (probably one of my favourite Marshall cleans too).
  • p_jay78p_jay78 Frets: 182
    I have an 100 watt reissue  - it's an absolute beast. Plug in a Les Paul and it's Use your Illusion era Guns n Roses on tap. Love it.... 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I use the mini Jubilee live most weekends set up on the rhythm clip channel then use the lead channel as a volume boost. I much prefer it to my old vertical input 800 as I can crank the live out of it without killing people. I found the 100w head was a bit too loud to get into the sweet spot (volume at around 3/4) so no good for pubs and clubs imo.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    photek said:
    I use the mini Jubilee live most weekends set up on the rhythm clip channel then use the lead channel as a volume boost. I much prefer it to my old vertical input 800 as I can crank the live out of it without killing people. I found the 100w head was a bit too loud to get into the sweet spot (volume at around 3/4) so no good for pubs and clubs imo.
    Looks like your a little ahead of me in the search then, tahts why I got rid of my JCM800 2203.
    Have you had the full size jubilee too??!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    I have the 2525h. I’m still not sure on it. Sounds great loud. Just a bit bright and buzzy at home and a pig to dial in...... that said, I do like it.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    @riffpowers I have had the full size 100w reissue and the 2555SL both of which I felt needed a bit of attenuation to get to the sweet spot and I didn't like the half power setting on either of them. The 2525 is a bright amp, fussy about speakers and needs to be loud to sound its best but I have found it worth the effort as it really sings without being silly loud.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Love mine, swapped one V30 out for an alnico cream. 

This vid made my mind up for me. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wFTWHjQtc&index=88&list=PLO60U6QkRJdhrQDpe0ayJklISQT5yiLVA
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited May 2018
    I have the Mini Jubilee and it's great. I don't find it that picky with speakers though I kinda feel like the greenbacks that come with the combo aren't the best fit for it. I've liked it with V30, H30 and Creamback H. T75 wasn't too bad either but a bit bland. I like it best through my H30/V30 2x12 and I imagine the Creamback would work great in that cab too instead of the H30. I find greenbacks accentuate the fizz and have a thin raspiness that I dislike.

Cheeky plug, mines unfortunately having to go up for sale if you're interested in a combo version

I really like the 100w version too but for that money and size I'd rather have a JVM.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    andy1839 said:
    Love mine, swapped one V30 out for an alnico cream. 

This vid made my mind up for me. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wFTWHjQtc&index=88&list=PLO60U6QkRJdhrQDpe0ayJklISQT5yiLVA
    I played through Andy’s at tFB Huddersfield jam.

I loved the tone I got out of it - and I’m not generally a Marshall fan....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That video sounds brilliant. I’ll try those settings later
    Those settings work at volume. Big volume unfortunately 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Yeah, I found that as well. The Xotic BB+ helps a bit at lower volumes. 

Those settings arent far off what Bonamassa himself said he uses on his forum in response to a bloke asking how he sets it.  

https://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7244

But volume is definitely the key to that tone. 

I dont know how they they would translate to the mini Jubilee, probably not much quieter!

Thanks. I’ll try them for an evening and see what I can coax out of it
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    andy1839 said:
    Yeah, I found that as well. The Xotic BB+ helps a bit at lower volumes. 

Those settings arent far off what Bonamassa himself said he uses on his forum in response to a bloke asking how he sets it.  

https://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7244

But volume is definitely the key to that tone. 

I dont know how they they would translate to the mini Jubilee, probably not much quieter!

I find this with most guitar tones I enjoy, it has to be bloody loud to get “that” tone. Which is a shame because I very rarely get to play at that sort of volume. 

How is this guy doing it in a house? And I know in the comments he said he uses (presumably JB endorsed) baffles but even so, a 100 watt amp up that loud and he is standing a foot away from it? 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10445
    I brought the 100 watt head and matching cab when it came out. Perfect Marshall tone if cranked. I played Highbury College with this whacked up full, that's an experience !
    A year or so later I joined a more pro band who preferred quiet backline and mic'ing and I found I couldn't get the same gain from the amp at lower volume so I bolted a load of wirewound resistors to a piece of alloy and made a power soak. This worked well but many a time a roadie would pick it up at the end of the gig, burn his hand and throw it back on the floor cursing :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I've owned 3 (50 watt head, 50 watt combo, 100 watt reissue). I concur with the above—they seem to be much more useable than JCM800s.

That said, I sold my last Jubilee and kept my 800 because I just prefer the sound of the JCM, and I'll have to find a power soak solution that works for me. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • dudududu Frets: 105
    I have a 2555SL that I like a lot.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had the 20w combo for 6 months. Its very good, i'd say one of the best amp releases of the last 10 years. Its classic modern marshall, but compact and has sensible features.

I'd still be using one if i hadn't tried a Budda Superdrive 18, which for me is the best amp i've ever owned or played through and really does the fat vintage meets modern tones i need.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    I've had an original 50w combo since the late 80's and love it.  Years ago I changed the speaker to a Celestion Sidewinder.  I can use it in the house and get a great sound (I have used it in a flat I had in London without upsetting the neighbors).  
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I used my 50w jubilee at a gig last weekend.    Cracking amp and I’d like to add a second one when finances allow.