Kitchen Extension

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    That's nothing..........I've seen plenty of London Kitchens from £80 ,000 to £120,000 and an average spend of about £38 to £42 k .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The likes of Plain English,Bulthaup,Poggenpohl, Smallbone or Chalon won't be interested in serving you at under £30 + k
    Howdens are the best value in the Lower end market and the units are very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Wank law.  How powerful is your stroke in comparison to a Norman dynasty that has lasted almost 1000 years.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Kill the hippies.  It's not your fault.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Dominic said:
    Absolutely agree. The only problem is obtaining a direct price from Howdens as they only deal with trades. We offer clients direct access to our account prices for that reason.

We do loads of kitchen extensions on houses in the £500k range. Supply, fit and appliances for a kitchen with Howdens units and a high quality worktop should be £12K tops on my opinion. I've had some clients go their own way and spend twice that, without added value.

• redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 747
    IKEA kitchen. Talk to others about design ideas, then use the IKEA app (or get an appointment in store and have them 3D model it) and check out the price difference. They are great value, and will offer interest free credit over a certain amount. Builders moan about them because they don’t have a big gap behind to hide pipes and stuff (who cares) but the price difference is huge. Also you can go and get different drawers, inserts, etc any time you like and know they’ll fit.  Worktops range isn’t the best -  but for timber, worktops.co.uk are excellent value and you can always find other local suppliers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    Dominic said:
    Absolutely agree. The only problem is obtaining a direct price from Howdens as they only deal with trades. We offer clients direct access to our account prices for that reason.

We do loads of kitchen extensions on houses in the £500k range. Supply, fit and appliances for a kitchen with Howdens units and a high quality worktop should be £12K tops on my opinion. I've had some clients go their own way and spend twice that, without added value.

Very True...........you can certainly get much better quality/style than Howdens but you will have to spend three times the price to get a significant improvement which is a diminishing return.
    A funny thing with kitchens is that you can use any crappy units (almost)but as soon as you cover them with a quartz or granite top they all look a million dollars................Worktops are the big ticket item but are 80% of what Joe Shmo sees.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    @Iamnobody my mother has just had a kitchen in the last 6 months, it's a fairly big kitchen, she used IKEA, myself and a friend fitted it I think it cost her £2,200 as she bought a new dishwasher in with it.

I can't justify paying people to do what is often Lego for grown ups :D So I usually do whatever I can myself then call someone for the little bits I can't.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Dominic said:
    Fuengi said:
    Dominic said:

Very True...........you can certainly get much better quality/style than Howdens but you will have to spend three times the price to get a significant improvement which is a diminishing return.
    A funny thing with kitchens is that you can use any crappy units (almost)but as soon as you cover them with a quartz or granite top they all look a million dollars................Worktops are the big ticket item but are 80% of what Joe Shmo sees.
    Yep. My advice to clients it to spend the money on the worktop. We use a local supplier - Mitchells worktops in Southampton, but they supply nationwide. Also get an installer who knows how to fit the worktop. A client just last week ordered a Minerva Acrylic worktop without telling the fitter. I spent a few hours on the phone trying to find somebody to cut and fit it. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I got my kitchen units from diy-kitchens.com and have been very impressed with the service and the quality, decent prices too for what I wanted, then I fitted it myself.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8085
    In the middle of a kitchen refit right now. Taken out a wall, back to bare brick, under floor heating, quart tops...  it’s been a nightmare trying to work from home when builders are bearing the daylights out of your house. 

Work has expanded. Ripped plaster off in hallway and up the stairs and landing..carpets in the slip. On our 4th skip!

It’s turning into a complete rebuild. Dust EVERYWHERE!!!!  Have had to tape up my office to try to keep the dust out. 

Despite the hassle, mess, and noise, enjoying it. Got a great architect, fantastic builder, plasterer is astonishing, and electrician is super accommodating. 

Awaiting planning permission for an up/down extension. But, that will be for another day.