Eminence GB128 anyone?

DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
Still looking for a pair of matching speakers for a low wattage amp, and a friend has suggested I audition the Eminence GB128, which isi alleged to be a Private Jack without the doping.

Anyone have any experience with them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 313
    Use them exclusively - I absolutely love them. Greenback tone with higher power handling, crisp, fat and clear. They love Marshally amps. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    ^ I'd be wary that the power handling is any higher than the greenback- eminence is pretty optimistic with their ratings, and I seem to remember some of the more knowledgeable members here saying they didn't see why it would be rated at 50 watts when its construction seems pretty similar to a greenback (I could be misremembering, though).

Nice speakers, but I haven't tried the PJ. They do have a bit of that Eminence family type of sound though- slightly lower mids (?) than Celestions, or something like that. They sound a bit more "American", I think.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I found them to be a little more congested than the greenback.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    timmysoft said:
    Hi Tim - how would you describe in in relation to the G12-35XC?  That'd give me a benchmark to work with.  Cheers.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Dodge said:
    timmysoft said:
    Hi Tim - how would you describe in in relation to the G12-35XC?  That'd give me a benchmark to work with.  Cheers.
    I had them in different amps so it’s not an exact science! 

The 35xc is more open and less fizzy in the upper mids. I found the gb128 just a bit nasal.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    timmysoft said:
    Dodge said:
    timmysoft said:
    I had them in different amps so it’s not an exact science! 

The 35xc is more open and less fizzy in the upper mids. I found the gb128 just a bit nasal.
    Good info - thanks.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    timmysoft said:
    Funny, I'd have said the opposite, assuming I've understood correctly what you mean by that :D I'd have said the GB128 was a bit cleaner sounding than the greenback and a bit less middy, maybe. Or at least maybe lower mids, as I said above.