Bartel is Back!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050
    timmysoft said:
    The build does indeed look very high quality but is there really any need 
    Sure there is - dentists gotta have something to play their PRS guitars through.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    timmysoft said:
    The build does indeed look very high quality but is there really any need 
    Sure there is - dentists gotta have something to play their PRS guitars through.
    Dentists play their guitars?!?!?!?! Sacre Bleu!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    edited May 2018
    Gassage said:
    I do think though that Bartel Amps will be considerably better than some of those mentioned by the OP, nice as they are
    Well, I've owned 4 TK's and sold them but still have my J20...go figure.
    you prefer Lazy J's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    The 20 watter is around $3k isn’t it? which is probably around what you’d pay for a loaded Lazy J J20.

I don’t particularly like the 50s TV aesthetic but the build looks high quality and while the knobs are interesting let’s not forget the multi-piece African mahogany flange that comes with it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    Can anyone explain why all these super-posh amps-for-dentists are based on raspy tweedy stuff and not the Blackface Deluxe Reverb, which is surely a more versatile platform and generally a better sounding amp in the first place?

Is it just because a 5E3-type is easier to build and make-look-posh? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Correction. The 20 watter is more around 4K! It’s the smaller one that’s 3k. Without reverb! The special thing about these amps is the tone stack. Bass and treble dialed way down gives you plexi crunch, at noon tweed. And fully open blackface cleans. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    Can anyone explain why all these super-posh amps-for-dentists are based on raspy tweedy stuff and not the Blackface Deluxe Reverb, which is surely a more versatile platform and generally a better sounding amp in the first place?

Have you used a Lazy J 20 on the edge of breakup?

Beautiful warm cleans when you pick softly, nice drive when you pick hard.  Put a pedal in front if if you want to rock.

I've sold a "boutique" amp based on a Deluxe Reverb, but still have my J20.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    crunchman said:

Beautiful warm cleans when you pick softly, nice drive when you pick hard.  Put a pedal in front if if you want to rock.

No, I haven't. And i'm not going to dismiss them at all, I just see a lot of hype but also a lot of people selling them, which makes me wonder. 

Maybe I just need to try something really good tweedy in person, but I've never really been attracted to the overall tone
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463

No, I haven't. And i'm not going to dismiss them at all, I just see a lot of hype but also a lot of people selling them, which makes me wonder. 

Maybe I just need to try something really good tweedy in person, but I've never really been attracted to the overall tone

I prefer the GZ34/6L6 version that is in the J20 to the original 5Y3/6V6 5E3 circuit.  It is tighter and has more headroom.  The Celestion Blue also makes a difference compared with the late 50's Jensen style speakers as they can sound a bit ratty in the bottom end.

I do have a Princeton Reverb reissue I took in part ex on a guitar I sold a couple of years ago.  I like that too, but if I could only have one amp it would be the J20.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    Try a vintage Princeton Reverb and a J20 in stereo. NOW you're talking.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Gassage said:
    Try a hiwatt NOW you're talking.
    FTFY
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    crunchman said:

I've got to topple the J20 pedestal and say that the best I have played is the similar but better Gartone Bluesman ....it is a sensational amp and I much prefer it to the J20
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    Gassage said:
    Try a hiwatt NOW you're talking.
    FTFY
    I have one....another!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    All the corny Dentist jokes......firstly;do Hygenists all play Mexican Fenders ?
    I knew a Dentist who was a great Guitarist but I have never yet met a Guitarist who is particularly good at Root Canal work.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9586
    Dominic said:
    All the corny Dentist jokes......firstly;do Hygenists all play Mexican Fenders ?
    I knew a Dentist who was a great Guitarist but I have never yet met a Guitarist who is particularly good at Root Canal work.
    Like it mate !
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Dominic said:

Well dental equipment is quite a bit more expensive than a guitar and I think you might have a bit of trouble finding people to practice on.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited May 2018
    too expensive, not that aesthetic and earlier demos sounded rather flubby to me and I am a big Mark Bartel/Tone King fan
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>