Channel switching footswitch (question for electronics experts)

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
edited May 2018 in Amps
I have an Engl ironball which uses a TRS jack connected to a twin footswitch.  Tip to ground selects the lead channel, ring to ground selects the gain boost, both does both and neither does neither.

Just bought a pedal switcher that has a A/B jack which appears to give me the option of tip-ground or ring-ground states so I can have either the lead channel or the gain boost, but cant have neither or both.

Any workarounds?  @ICBM. .?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28574
    You could rewire it ?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sporky said:
    You could rewire it ?
    Could you be a little more specific ;)
    Interim solution - If I break the ring connection then selecting the ring to ground does nothing (obviously) so I can then use the switcher to switch channels, and could put the ring on a separate switch, not ideal but workable.  Anyone got a better idea?
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    John_A said:

Anyone got a better idea?

Use the Engl footswitch...

What pedal switcher did you buy? 
    John_A said:

Anyone got a better idea?

Use the Engl footswitch...

What pedal switcher did you buy? 
    I have the Engl footswitch, I just want to automate things so pedal selection and amp switching is done together from the same unit.  It's the Hotone Cybery, but have the same issue with my Helix
    Okay. I have the same thing with my Blackstar HT 50 and Boss GT 100 except I only lose the amp reverb function which I can live with as the effects unit had it covered . I'm sure Helix is the same with regards to amp switching. And I'm assuming that midi switching isn't an option with your amp. 

I see that the spec for the Hotone says only one switch can be used for A/B and all others turned off. You might be better to swap it for a switcher that can have more than one switching function. 

I know the Joyo PXL pro/live could do what you want with a TRS to 2 mono lead. I'm sure there are lots of other units. 

Or you could just use the Helix to change channel and simulate the gain boost if needed. 
    John_A said:
    Sporky said:
    You could rewire it ?
    You haven't said what you want it to do!
    Sporky said:
    John_A said:
    Sporky said:
    You could rewire it ?
    I want to be able to switch either the boost or channel (figured that out, I just break either the ring or tip connection of the TRS jack) , but ideally be able to select either/both.

Don't think I can do it with a single relay that flip-flops between 2 states, but may be missing something
    Okay. I have the same thing with my Blackstar HT 50 and Boss GT 100 except I only lose the amp reverb function which I can live with as the effects unit had it covered . I'm sure Helix is the same with regards to amp switching. And I'm assuming that midi switching isn't an option with your amp. 

I see that the spec for the Hotone says only one switch can be used for A/B and all others turned off. You might be better to swap it for a switcher that can have more than one switching function. 

I know the Joyo PXL pro/live could do what you want with a TRS to 2 mono lead. I'm sure there are lots of other units. 

Or you could just use the Helix to change channel and simulate the gain boost if needed. 
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking, use a TS in place of the boost and just use the switcher to select channels.  It's not perfect, but it'll do
    John_A said:
    Sporky said:
    John_A said:
    Sporky said:
    You could rewire it ?
    I want to be able to switch either the boost or channel (figured that out, I just break either the ring or tip connection of the TRS jack) , but ideally be able to select either/both.

Don't think I can do it with a single relay that flip-flops between 2 states, but may be missing something
    Gotcha.

No. With a single relay you can select two states, not all four. And only certain combinations of states, I think.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Sporky said:

With a single relay you can select two states, not all four. And only certain combinations of states, I think.
    If it's a DPDT relay you could in theory rewire it to give both on or both off, rather than one on and one off. That depends on how easy it is to modify the (presumably) PCB tracks though. Not sure if that's any more use, anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll live with the channel select (break the ring) only compromise, it'll do :)
    John_A said:

Yes, that's what I'm thinking, use a TS in place of the boost and just use the switcher to select channels.  It's not perfect, but it'll do

It sounds like practically is more important than the "best" sound for you. That was the conclusion I came to.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    ....break the ring....
    You must NEVER break the ring! 

Or is it cross the streams? I forget.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    martinw said:
    John_A said:
    ....break the ring....
    You must NEVER break the ring! 

Or is it cross the streams? I forget.
    The Chain :).

Crossing the streams causes dreams...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom