eBay Content: You can't polish a turd...

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

...but you can roll it in glitter.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    I knew someone a long time ago who had the original 2x12” combo of one of these. It wasn’t actually a bad amp, although very typically 1970s solid-state - a bit flat and lifeless at low volume, and farty when turned up too far. It seemed well-enough made, and never broke down - I’ve never seen another one though, so no idea if that’s typical or not. But even an original combo in perfect condition probably isn’t worth £250.

He also wants £60 for an empty 1980s Carlsbro cab... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    ICBM said:

But even an original combo in perfect condition probably isn’t worth £250.

Knock the “0” off the end and you’re in the right ballpark...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

I would say a fully-working, overhauled and perfect condition one would be worth more than that. There’s a certain nostalgia factor, and things like this do actually have a sound that a tiny minority of people might want. (Even if it’s only Bay City Rollers tribute bands :).) £250 would still be optimistic, but I would say knock a hundred off and it wouldn’t be wildly over the top.

I sold a FAL Kestrel Reverb head for £99 not long ago!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    I recall advertisements for that brand in Music UK magazine, thirty five years ago. Given the shite that they made, how did they stay in business that long?

ICBM said:
    He also wants £60 for an empty 1980s Carlsbro cab... :)
    Should be free to a good home warehouse. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited May 2018
    ICBM said:

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

It actually sounded quite good - a bit like a fuzzbox with a speaker, although the controls have a somewhat 'unique' taper where they don't do much until about 3 o'clock, then everything kicks in all at once. And the reverb sounds like a metal dustbin falling over... but it was surprisingly quite robust - I intentionally thrashed it into a dummy load with everything turned up full for ages to make sure I could guarantee it, and it didn't die. It was in the shop for a while, I admit - but eventually someone wanted it .

I looked up a bit more about the Londoner - contrary to what the seller here says, it's *East* German, not West - I guessed as much from the appearance of the 'black front' variation which is very like the GDR-made Sound City 1x12" amps, and apparently there was a Sound City-badged version of the L100A too.

More interesting, the original model name for the Londoner was the Vermona Regent. Recently, I had a modern rackmount analogue filter unit also made by a company called Vermona, in Germany... I wonder if it's the same outfit?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    ICBM said:
    the reverb sounds like a metal dustbin falling over.
    Want!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom