Whatever happened to the Katanas? *edit* now NAD

What's Hot

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited June 2018
    Thank you for the link, unfortunately it only switches between presets which is not what I'm after at the moment, I'll probably need one in the future after i finally delve deeper into the tone studio but for now I just want to be able to switch between the different gain stages and reverb but I don't think it will be possible.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1690
    I don't know of anything that will allow the "cycle" of the 3 stages of each fx block..  unless the primovasound midi bridge will do this..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    zepp76 said:
    Thank you for the link, unfortunately it only switches between presets which is not what I'm after at the moment, I'll probably need one in the future after i finally delve deeper into the tone studio but for now I just want to be able to switch between the different gain stages and reverb but I don't think it will be possible.
    You just programme each channel to use a different voice. Chanel a clean, b crunch etc... 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4198
    zepp76 said:
    I’m not sure you can on the 50 - at least, I couldn’t see a way to make it work that way out of the box, and that was part of the reason I went for the 100 too.
    That's how it works with the 100 as well. You can switch between channels, but only by assigning the different voices to the channels can you achieve what you're after.

It's possible on the head using a midi controller but that's it. 

That's how it works with the 100 as well. You can switch between channels, but only by assigning the different voices to the channels can you achieve what you're after.

It's possible on the head using a midi controller but that's it. 
    @Legionreturns  Thank you for your help and advice. The problem I have at the moment is I don't have a computer/lap top, just an iPad so I can't programme the amp to assign patches, I think they missed a trick not allowing iPad/iPhone users to adjust the amp through their devices. Still, I'm happy with the amp and am in no rush to mess about with the tone studio, it is still very useable without delving into the software.
    Patches 1 - 4 are based on the four voices. If you go into each patch, turn off the fx (except reverb if you want that) and then save them direct to the amp, you'll have what you're after without using tone studio. You can change volume level, fx etc and save them as well.  

Patches 1 - 4 are based on the four voices. If you go into each patch, turn off the fx (except reverb if you want that) and then save them direct to the amp, you'll have what you're after without using tone studio. You can change volume level, fx etc and save them as well.  
    Brilliant, that's good to know. Would you recommend the Bright onion over the official Boss FS-6?
    zepp76 said:
    Brilliant, that's good to know. Would you recommend the Bright onion over the official Boss FS-6?
    Honestly I've not used either, as I have the head. From what I've read, you would need 2 FS6s to achieve all the functionality of the Bright Onion.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9762
    zepp76 said:
    Looking at it, I can't see that the Bright Onion does anything that the Boss FS-6 doesn't do. It just does it slightly differently. The Bright Onion uses four buttons - one for each bank/channel combination,  while the FS-6 uses one button to change banks and one to swap channels within the currently selected bank.

As others have already said, you can save your choice of settings to each of the presets without having to use a computer. (The computer just gives you a greater variety of effects.) So although you can’t actually turn reverb on or off from the footswitch, you could save settings that have differing amounts of reverb. Same goes for gain.

Hope this helps.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Looking at it, I can't see that the Bright Onion does anything that the Boss FS-6 doesn't do. It just does it slightly differently. The Bright Onion uses four buttons - one for each bank/channel combination,  while the FS-6 uses one button to change banks and one to swap channels within the currently selected bank.

As others have already said, you can save your choice of settings to each of the presets without having to use a computer. (The computer just gives you a greater variety of effects.) So although you can’t actually turn reverb on or off from the footswitch, you could save settings that have differing amounts of reverb. Same goes for gain.

Hope this helps.
    @HAL9000  That's very helpful thank you. Now it's just a case of deciding which footswitch to go for, I'm guessing the Bright Onion will require less tap dancing to select a channel seeing as it has the four switches. I better start reading the instructions to learn how to assign different patches!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9762
    zepp76 said:
    HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:

Hope this helps.
    @HAL9000  That's very helpful thank you. Now it's just a case of deciding which footswitch to go for, I'm guessing the Bright Onion will require less tap dancing to select a channel seeing as it has the four switches. I better start reading the instructions to learn how to assign different patches!
    Saving sounds really is a piece of cake. Just adjust everything until you get the sound you want. Then hold down the desired channel button for a few seconds. The LEDs will flash a bit to let you know that the current settings (except the master volume and wattage) has been saved to that channel. That’s it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    A big thanks to @Legionreturns and @HAL9000 for your help and advice. I've ordered the Bright Onion, that should do the job. And my apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3348
    Anyone tried pedals into the amp yet? I hate it’s drive sounds and was wondering how it’s take some dirt pedals?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    grungebob said:
    Anyone tried pedals into the amp yet? I hate it’s drive sounds and was wondering how it’s take some dirt pedals?
    It’s fine it doesn’t take them as well as my deville but it’s perfectly usable.  I didn’t like the Drive sounds originally either and ended up boosting a lot of bass and cutting a lot of mids and treble to get Drive sounds I liked with a katana 50. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3348
    Adam_MD said:
    grungebob said:
    It’s fine it doesn’t take them as well as my deville but it’s perfectly usable.  I didn’t like the Drive sounds originally either and ended up boosting a lot of bass and cutting a lot of mids and treble to get Drive sounds I liked with a katana 50. 
    Thanks. 
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    https://youtu.be/5JNZUYYcew0   

http://https//youtu.be/7JZxOG8vrpE

http://https//youtu.be/UKsI8Lf9OPo

I'm a huge fan of this guy! Antony Drennan. He uses the Katana live miced up. 

He plays for the Corrs and Mike & the Mechanics as well as millions of others. Fabulous player and really does make the Katana sound GOOD!!!
  • grungebob said:
    I much preferred the Katanas with pedals compared to the in built drive sounds. This is my 2 Katana 50 combos running in stereo on the clean channels with a Blackstar HT Dual overdrive pedal into the front.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17rBTpf2YJBCMSUuOv-xS7A6ijgnSZ_Gp/view?usp=drivesdk
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1408
    So I take it people are using these mainly as pedal platforms? If so, how would they stack up against something like a Roland JC40 or similar?
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4198
    I've only used mine at home so far but I'm actually really liking the built-indrivve sounds! I've since picked up a GA-FC too, which helps a lot but it's a really versatile rig. The only odd part to me is that there's no built-in tuner.