Lightweight amp for rehearsals

What's Hot
chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67
I've got a Peavey Delta Blues which I love but I'm fed up with lugging it to the local scout hut every friday! as it weighs a ton and it never goes above 2 on the volume knob and for rehearsals is starting to feel a bit like overkill.
The band play mainly the Jam and Queen, Dad rock etc.

Can anyone recommend a small light amp that will hold its own against a drummer. Preferably non modelling. I had a VOX ac30VT but found it a real faff to get a decent sound out of that would cut through with the band and I didn't have time to muck about with the all of the modelling setting mid rehearsal. The beauty of the valve amp is it just sounds good as soon as you plug it in.

Was thinking of one of those ZT Lunchbox amps but they are a bit pricey for what would be a third amp (Have a Yamaha THR 5 for at home) Looking to spend a couple of hundred quid max.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    edited May 2018
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited May 2018
    Laney Cub 12R. 1x12 15w all valve, loud, great valve tone, good sounding digital reverb, 1w and 15w inputs, fx loop, 8/16 ohm extn cab out. 3 band eq plus extra tone control, takes pedals really well.  And at only 25lbs it's half the weight of a Delta Blues 115.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9725
    Laney LV100. Analogue solid-state 65W. Weighs in at 12.5 Kg. No effects (unless you count reverb). Round about the £200 mark.

Fender Champion 40. Modelling (but only a handful of models) solid-state 40W. Weighs in at 8.6Kg. Some basic effects but not too many. Round about the £140 mark. Someone I know has one and it does do those Fendery cleans very well. Easily keeps up with a (well-mannered) drummer at a local jam night. Not sure how it would square up against a Neanderthal tub thumper though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Maybe a Jet City head and lightweight cab? The Laney that @Voxman mentioned is also a great shout but made infinitely better with speaker upgrade.
    edited May 2018
    rico said:
    Maybe a Jet City head and lightweight cab? The Laney that @Voxman mentioned is also a great shout but made infinitely better with speaker upgrade.
    Not needed so much now. Laney now fit a decent HH speaker in the Cub12R whereas mine came with a Rocket 50 which is a piece of crap - hence the first thing I did was put in a vintage 30. It did add to the weight though, obviously. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67
    Thanks for your comments. I like the idea of the Laney. I've seen a cub 10 going for £100 so i am off to take a look at that tonight
    chrisjac2 said:
    Thanks for your comments. I like the idea of the Laney. I've seen a cub 10 going for £100 so i am off to take a look at that tonight
    Nice little amp but different to the 12R. 6v6 power tubes, 10w through 10" speaker.  More Fendery than the more British sounding 12R with its EL84s.  Tone, volume and gain, hi and lo inputs but no reverb.  But its smaller and lighter at 18.5lbs than the 12R.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Lionheart 5 watt combo. A bit over budget even used, but well worth it. IMO one of the best small amps under a grand
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • The Jam and Queen? Wtf?

• chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67
    Thanks for the suggestion Laney @Voxman and @rico ;Picked up the lane cub 10 last night and have been completely blown away by it. What a awesome little amp. Lots of usable tone straight from the off. Very impressed. and it should be loud enough for what I need as it will be miked for larger venues anyway. And as it was only a ton I have budget for some new tubes and maybe a new reverb pedal! Thanks all for your help
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9589
    The Jam and Queen? Wtf?

Yep, I’m with you mate ;)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The Jam and Queen? Wtf?

News of the world. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    chrisjac2 said:
    Thanks for the suggestion Laney @Voxman and @rico ;Picked up the lane cub 10 last night and have been completely blown away by it. What a awesome little amp. Lots of usable tone straight from the off. Very impressed. and it should be loud enough for what I need as it will be miked for larger venues anyway. And as it was only a ton I have budget for some new tubes and maybe a new reverb pedal! Thanks all for your help
    Glad you like it @chrisjac2 - Laney are hugely under rated and the Cubs are excellent little amps.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    strtdv said:
    Lionheart 5 watt combo. A bit over budget even used, but well worth it. IMO one of the best small amps under a grand
    I remember playing one of those and I was amazed at the lack of low end on the thing. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited May 2018
    I was going to suggest keeping the Delta Blues and getting a folding trolley / sack truck, like these - https://www.screwfix.com/c/storage-ladders/sack-trucks/cat831506

Too late! . But if anyone does buy one, get a bungee too, so the amp is less likely to tip off it.