You've got a Fender HRD iii, you love it, but you want to up your game. Where do you go?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
As per title. Needs to be pedal friendly, combo, home use. Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-issue?

Asking for a friend.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    edited May 2018
    Better speaker and valves, Dr. Watson volume box in the loop.

Your choice of speaker - there are dozens. I would probably try a Jensen Tornado, I really like these in Fender-type amps.

NOS RCA, GE or Philips/Sylvania etc 12AY7 (V1) and 12AT7 (V3), similar 12AX7 in V2, Philips 6L6WGB.

http://thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Fender-Hot-Rod-Volume-Pot-Module.html  (Danny1969 may have something to do with these .)

And make sure the amp is set to 240V not 230V.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    That's some good advice there, @ICBM thanks.

Is there an internal switch for 240V? Any downsides to that?

But if one were to get a completely new amp what Fender combo would be an "upgrade"?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    On the subject of the Jensen Tornado (you need the 100w from the Jet Series) - not only do they sound great - they also weigh about as much as a sheet of A4.

I run one (on @ICBM’s recommendation) in an 80s Music Man RD50. It sounds wonderful; clear - but not remotely harsh - with an extended, fart-free low end. A great speaker.
    Philtre said:

Is there an internal switch for 240V? Any downsides to that?
    You need to swap two push-connectors on the PCB. There are no downsides other than a tiny reduction in volume, which only matters if getting maximum volume is an issue!

The upsides are that the amp runs cooler, is less hard on the valves and some of its internal parts, and the tone is slightly clearer and less 'shouty' - and there is a tiny reduction in volume :).

Philtre said:

But if one were to get a completely new amp what Fender combo would be an "upgrade"?
    Hard to say - it depends on what sound you're looking for. Most people would say the '65 Deluxe Reverb is an upgrade, particularly if you want a clean sound - but it can also respond less well to some pedals (mostly distortion and fuzz), and it can struggle for headroom for gigging if you use a very 'big' sound (which I don't think matters here).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33824
    Tried a Princeton?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    If you were playing live I’d say a Carr Rambler ( which I use ) but seen as it’s home use I’d recommend a Roland Blues cube ( which I also have and probably use more ) The blues cube sounds and more importantly perhaps, feels better at low volumes and that includes rehearsals and small gigs.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9851
    octatonic said:
    Tried a Princeton?
    I've considered my Princeton (68 reissue) to be very much a downgrade from my old Hot Rod Deluxe despite the ridiculous office difference. The HRD was a much better sounding amp to me, was infinitely more useful at home and had the volume should that be needed
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Not tried a Princeton.

To be clear, I mean what would be the logical upgrade in the Fender combo series that would be a good pedal platform?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10448
    octatonic said:
    Tried a Princeton?
    I've considered my Princeton (68 reissue) to be very much a downgrade from my old Hot Rod Deluxe despite the ridiculous office difference. The HRD was a much better sounding amp to me, was infinitely more useful at home and had the volume should that be needed
    I tried out a Princeton and 4 other amps in PMT about 4 months ago ... an HRD, a Bass Breaker and 2 Oranges. The Princeton had the biggest most 3D sound despite being the smallest box of them all. ICBM said at the time it was down to the simplicity of the circuit. Only stumbling block was the price which was nearly a grand
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    I agree with the others, if you absolutely insist on Fender and want it for home use then a Princeton wins hands down. I like the 68 custom one as a pedal amp.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    Danny1969 said:
    octatonic said:
    Tried a Princeton?
    I tried out a Princeton and 4 other amps in PMT about 4 months ago ... an HRD, a Bass Breaker and 2 Oranges. The Princeton had the biggest most 3D sound despite being the smallest box of them all. ICBM said at the time it was down to the simplicity of the circuit. Only stumbling block was the price which was nearly a grand
    I can only assume it wasn't the 68 then! Though I'm basing my opinion on home volume which I think it needs to be louder than in order to sounds any good
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    BF Super Reverb.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7790
    hywelg said:
    BF Super Reverb.
    Hell yeah dawg! Awesome amps
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    I had an HRD III a while back and it needed a speaker change for me. The stock speaker wasn't to my taste.

I recently got an HRD IV and the clean channel sounds great straight away. I'm still not a fan of the drive channel. The amp is lighter too. I definitely prefer the IV to the III.
    It's not a competition.
    I haven’t played the IV yet, but I prefer the II to the III, at least stock.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13955
    How much do you want to spend? What power/volume and clean head room do you need? Do you want single channel or multi? Do you want to get overdrive from the amp or pedals? Answer these and you may be able to narrow down a range to consider.

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited May 2018
    I have a HRD IV and i love it! I did exactky what @ICBM said to do new tubes, 240v and new speaker. I put in Philips NOS 6L6’s, Tung sol 12ax7 In V1 - brighter and clearer tone, sovtek 12ax7lps in V3 more depth and bottom end. 230 to 240V and I put a WGS ET90 speaker in. By far the best amp I have ever owned and one of the cheapest! I have owned and played through loads of boutique gear, DR Z’s, Tone Kings, Carr, Victoria and fender amps but this much punchier, bigger, clearer, more forgiving, cuts through the mix nicely and it  handles pedals much better than any other amp. The great thing too is at low volume they sound great. I even like the overdrive channel which often gets stick. Like @ICBM said (Tip) Eq the OD channel first then the clean channel should be good 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Clearly the only answer to "What's better than a Hot Rod Deluxe" is... Another Hot Rod Deluxe in stereo!
    Clearly the only answer to "What's better than a Hot Rod Deluxe" is... Another Hot Rod Deluxe in stereo!
    I was going to say a Hotrod Deville :), but for a home player it's probably definitely overkill - although I do think the 4x10" version actually sounds better at low volume than the Deluxe, at least with stock speakers in both. The downside is the size and weight, but if you're not going to gig it maybe that doesn't matter...

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I’m going to ask why change if you love it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom