The Best Jazzmaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12337
    impmann said:
    If you are dipping a toe into the water, I wouldn't go mental... a Mascis is great, or a s/h MiM job. And as has been said the pickups are very different to a P90 - they are much brighter and a fair amount thinner sounding. A lot of VMs have iffy necks/fretting - fine if you don't bend notes, but if you do... you may need to send it away for some work. The Mascis doesn't seem to suffer from this.

They are an aquired taste and to get the best from them, you need to set your amp very differently from the Les Pauls etc you already have. They truly don't suit everyone but they suit some people completely.

FWIW - Mr G's live sound was IMHO terrible with the Jazzmaster during his stint at the Biggest Weekend. Clanky, toneless and generally meh. As soon as he swapped over to the 355, he sounded like Noel again. I'm *not* a fan of this latest album - not just the content but the sound of it either. He sounds *bored* and he looked it on stage too (so did his band - exception being the drummer, the hero of the night) - so did a lot of the crowd. I gave up and went to bed in the end, as it really didn't move me... and I say that as a Jazzmaster fan and a Noel G fan.
    And don't get me started about "our Kid" and his terrible going-through-the-motions-off-key-whilst-swaggering-like-its-1995-yet-looking-creepy-and-sad...
    Thanks for the advice.

As for Noel G - I enjoyed his set, I thought his JM tone was deliberately a bit weedy, to blend in with all the wacky stuff, but then I loved Noel's new album, so YMMV :)

I agree about him pulling out the 355 though, Noel is at his most Noel with a semi or sometimes a Les Paul.

I have been mostly playing my new PRS SE recently and it's coming to the jam in Woking with me as my new "do it all" guitar, but my sneaking suspicion is in the long run either an LP or a Semi will turn out to be "me".... or I'm flat wrong.

Fully intend to enjoy finding out though :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I had a classic lacquer in surf green. 

I'd say it was all the jazzmaster you need - no point in going over a grand when you can get them this good.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    Grunfeld said:

But srsly, don't go in thinking they sound like P90s - they're a different kettle of magnets & wire.

I would suggest not getting hung up on switching options though. Almost none of us JM folk actually use them.
    I'm hoping I'm not the only one who's rolled the volume of the rhythm circuit to zero, forgotten all about it, and at some distant gig accidentally clicked it in and panicked that something has died!

I love the sound of the pickups on my classic player JM (god they've shot up in price since I got mine!).  The only issue is the neck.  Makes my hand ache -- at least I think it's the neck -- I suppose it could be other things like how the JM sits.
    However, I'm still really keen to try a JM with a neck that feels like an Ibanez wizard.  I get on with RGs so well.  Don't really need 24 frets though.
    But I don't think there's such a thing as a JM with a wizard neck.  Unless any one knows different?
    There might be, some time ago I made a bit of a Cock up, I was working on a couple of solid rosewood Strat necks with large headstock's. The customer wanted 19mm at the 1st fret and about 20mm at the 12th. I accidentally picked up a solid rosewood Jazzmaster neck and proceeded to take it the aforementioned sizes. If you're interested let me know.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340

I'd say it was all the jazzmaster you need - no point in going over a grand when you can get them this good.
    My CS Jazzmaster strongly disagrees
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720

My CS Jazzmaster strongly disagrees
    Tbh that Jazzmaster and the new CS Jaguar he has are two of the finest guitars of any kind/type I’ve ever played.

Both are exquisite 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4061
    One of Noel Gallagher's, a white one, is an American Pro.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    All pictured guitars will be on sale in the Classifieds by Saturday :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    One of Noel Gallagher's, a white one, is an American Pro.
    It must be like Xmas all at once when Noel walks into a guitar shop, I read somewhere once he owns over 250 guitars in total.  He sold a bunch of gear a year or so ago though.
    edited May 2018
    JerkMoans said:
    All pictured guitars will be on sale in the Classifieds by Saturday D
    You big cynic

"It's the best guitar I've ever played, I'd never sell it, don't touch it, no don't even look at the picture dammit..."

"With a heavy heart I need to sell this guitar, best I've ever played but I'm selling it and keeping ten others I like better..."

Cynic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Cynic
    Fair cop :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I don't know about the best but if you want to dip your toe in I'd second the Squier deluxe Jazzmaster. Classic Vibe quality, but as others have mentioned the pickups are p90 type.

You can get one for under £300 at the moment new, keep an eye out for jazzmaster pickups on eBay and you'll have a Jazzmaster that punches well above its weight. I'm a bit of an offset nut and bought one recently on a whim, very impressed indeed.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    JerkMoans said:

Cynic
    You're a lawyer - you are trained to exaggerate, obfuscate, proliferate guitars and them sell them. 

It's in your DNA

;)
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    revelations are sound if you are on a budget. sexy colours too. they even do a thinline jm.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited May 2018
    Also should just say - JM pickups are one of the best-sounding and most underrated pickup designs out there.

Nothing much like a P-90, despite appearances - I'd liken them instead to fatter-sounding Strat pickups. The middle position sound is utterly divine for clean playing, and the bridge has a surprising amount of venom to it when you hit it with high gain.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:

Cynic
    You're a lawyer - you are trained to exaggerate, obfuscate, proliferate guitars and them sell them. 

It's in your DNA

;)
    You might think that.

I’m afraid I couldn’t possibly comment.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom