SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Mini Humbuckers

What's Hot
johnljohnl Frets: 2011
Hey all, looking for some new minis for my SG - interested in pretty much anything. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15222
    It would be easier to make helpful suggestions if you gave some clues as to the musical style(s) in which you are likely to play.

e.g. You could get a vintage Firebird sound palette with the Oil City Winterizer. You could turn the SG into a riff monster with Tony Iommi-inspired high output P90s. With Gretsch style plastic surrounds, the pickup cavities would probably accept Filter'Tron style pickups.

Greater sonic variety could be obtained from the stock Gibson 495T/R pair if they had four-conductor + shield output cable. Unfortunately, they do not. It is not worth the hassle of modifying them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    In all honesty I'm open to trying anything at the moment, whatever people have for sale. Were I buying new I suspect I'd be looking for something PAF-like but I'm also a little curious at what those EMG mini humbuckers are like too....
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    johnl said:
    In all honesty I'm open to trying anything at the moment, whatever people have for sale. Were I buying new I suspect I'd be looking for something PAF-like but I'm also a little curious at what those EMG mini humbuckers are like too....
    If you want PAF like mini's the new Monty's might fit the bill. I've ordered a set and am looking forward to trying them out.

https://www.montysguitars.com/products/montys-mini-humbucker
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15222
    johnl said:
    I'm also a little curious at what those EMG mini humbuckers are like.
    Several of the EMG Minis are just the regular models in a smaller housing. Some of these are also available in P90 soapbar dimensions. The latter should directly fit the existing routed cavities of your particular model of SG.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    I have a set of oil city masterwound winterizers that I never got to fitting for £120.

Or alternatively you could have the ones out of my Gibson firebird for £75 and I'll fit the winterizers!
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I have a set of oil city masterwound winterizers that I never got to fitting for £120.

Or alternatively you could have the ones out of my Gibson firebird for £75 and I'll fit the winterizers!
    Quite interested in both of those options - not knowing much either about Firebirds or Johnny Winter; what do the winterizers sound like? Sort of low-output and PAFish?
    @johnl ; pretty much! They have that firebird bite allegedly in spades. The standard ones in the guitar at the moment are fab, low output and the neck is cracking in particular! 

I'd say either youd be happy with if you like the firebird sound. In an SG they could be epic!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1164
    I think Firebird pickups traditionally sound more like single coils, but with more meat. The best person to chip in here is of course @TheGuitarWeasel ; ...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11862
    tFB Trader
    I think Firebird pickups traditionally sound more like single coils, but with more meat. The best person to chip in here is of course @TheGuitarWeasel ; ...
    Think of a chewy Telecaster on steroids sound ... but delightfully free from hum ... like someone threw a Les Paul and A Black Guard Tele in a blender  ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Think of a chewy Telecaster on steroids sound ... but delightfully free from hum ... like someone threw a Les Paul and A Black Guard Tele in a blender  ...
    Nailed it