EL34s................

bertiebertie Frets: 13578
edited March 2014 in Amps
so,  it looks very much like the ELs are going in my Chub,  looks like Winged Cs in there now........but I cant really stretch to a pair at the moment..................so looks like its going to be 

Tung-Sols
TADs
JJs

anyone any opinions they wish to share ?  :)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    Cornfords used Golden Dragons as stock...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I tend to go for JJs for reliability, although I don't like the sound of them particularly, compared to most others. (Though nowhere near as bad as with their preamp valves, which I really don't like.)

Of the cheaper modern EL34s I much prefer Electro-Harmonix for tone - although they're not always the most durable. Not tried Tung-Sol EL34s, but had some reliability issues with their 6L6-type valves. TADs seem OK in amps I've found them in, but I haven't used them as replacements personally.

I would definitely stay away from Groove Tubes - whatever they claim to do in matching the valves also seems to make them unreliable. No idea why!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2739
    If you go with JJs make sure you get EL34s rather than E34Ls. I've been sold both even though I ordered the same item!

The E34Ls will run hot in amps designed for EL34s as they require a more negative voltage to bias correctly.

The EL34 in my opinion sounds better than the E34L too.

=C= EL34s sound great, but I've had reliability issues with them, so I've stopped using them.

I agree with ICBM on EH EL34s; they sound fine, but aren't the most durable.

I like the sound of the Russian Mullard reissues, but I've not used a large enough sample size to vouch for their reliability. They are also only available from Noparts (sorry Allparts), so are rarely in stock.