4x10 or 2x12

What's Hot
bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1659
I have two Marshall 1966 (a/b) cabs, both are 2x12 stock g12t-75.

As I rarely use a stack anymore.. as cute as it looks.. I was tempted to switch out one of them for the 1965 variant which is 4x10.

Would it move more air? How would it sound different? Less bass, tighter high end?

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    Can you even find a 1965? They're quite rare.

It's so long since I heard one that I can't answer the question, but the chances are that you would get at least as much useful difference in sound by changing the speakers in one of your cabs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1659
    ICBM said:
    Can you even find a 1965? They're quite rare.

It's so long since I heard one that I can't answer the question, but the chances are that you would get at least as much useful difference in sound by changing the speakers in one of your cabs.
    yeah there a couple doing the rounds at the moment.. as well as 1966 cabs.

I guess my main inquiry was regarding a noticeable difference between 4x10 and 2x12
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    A lot depends on the speakers. I can’t remember what they put in the 1965s - G10L-35s?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1659
    Yeah that sounds right
    My trading feedback

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I have one. It's compact and light (ish). Welcome to try it- I am in Warwickshire. Confirmed that they have G10L-35s
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 321
    I have a cab with a 2x12 and 4x10 baffle that I ran a Fender Bassman head through. As a 4x10 it sounded just as big as the 2x12 but a bit tighter and less boomy, I actually prefered it as a 4x10! 

There's a 1965 on here for a great price! - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110002/ @Ché
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom