Using a 1x12 with bass

PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7400
I have a spare marshall 1912, not sure what speaker it is. Anyway I was thinking of using it as an extension cab for our bassist aty an upcoming gig as his amp struggles to keep up (its a little ashdown combo). Is this going to damage the speaker in the guitar cab?
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1679

WHICH! "little Ashdown combo"? They are legion!

Probably not a good idea anyway unless the amp is very low powered and even then you will not really get much "gain" in level.

Sorry, but bass needs power. A 100W amp and 15incher is really just a bit more than a practice rig!

Dave.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7400
    its one of these, id be using the marshall in addition to the speaker in the combo,
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    edited March 2014
    This cab is actually pretty good for bass - it's a sealed cab with reflex porting, even though it's probably not properly 'tuned'. Worth checking by taking the back off, but they used to come with a Celestion 150W driver. I used one as a standalone cab with a Trace Elliot AH150 once with no problems. (Bearing in mind the Trace put out only around 80-90W into 8 ohms, probably.)

If the amp is more than 200W I wouldn't try it though, even as an extension cab.

You will definitely get more level, because not only are you moving a larger volume of air, the amp will put out considerably more power by running at 4 ohms not 8. I would expect you to gain around 3 or 4dB from the combination of the two.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1679
    its one of these, id be using the marshall in addition to the speaker in the combo,
    One of which? I have no link.

Dave.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7400
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    Should be OK even though it's just over 200W - they're not very loud for their rated power. There are some exaggerated claims on the back of most of the models, and even the 'RMS' ratings seem a bit optimistic compared to other amps of the same power.

Try it, but probably best to stay away from the Sub-Harmonic generator - which I find counterproductive on these smaller models anyway, it tends to reduce the available volume by making the power section work too hard at frequencies the speaker can't really reproduce.

If you start to hear any speaker distortion, back off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein