Any Marshall DSL 401 users?

Si_Si_ Frets: 384
I've been looking for a small combo to replace my Dark Terror and been offered one. Just wondered if anyone was using one and how they rated them? They seem to get mixed reviews online.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    They're not bad, but they need a couple of small reliability improvements and possibly a better speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've got a spare V30 so replacing the speaker isn't an issue. 

What sort of reliability improvements do they need? anything that will break the bank?
  • I had one and the bridge rectifier(?) solder joints kept going bad as they were above the power tubes. :-S

Sounded nice though...

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    edited March 2014
    Si_ said:
    I've got a spare V30 so replacing the speaker isn't an issue.

What sort of reliability improvements do they need? anything that will break the bank?
    Nothing expensive, just a bit of work.

I had one and the bridge rectifier(?) solder joints kept going bad as they were above the power tubes. :-S

If they kept going, then whoever repaired it didn't do the job right… it needs a heatsink fitting and the legs clinching over on the underside of the board, then they don't fail again.

Increasing the ventilation by putting spacers around the upper rear chassis bolts is a good idea too. A fan as often recommended isn't necessary unless you live somewhere really hot, and probably not even then.

Removing the push-connectors and soldering the wires to the speaker directly is also a good idea (sorry Dave! :) ). The wiring is a bit flimsy, but OK as long as it can't break at the crimps.

Very occasionally they can suffer bias failure if the MV pot gets bashed, too - the bias voltage goes via it. You can fix this with a couple of extra resistors, but it's a much rarer fault than the others.

If you've got it apart with the board out, check that the holes in the chassis are big enough for wide-bottle EL84s (eg JJs or Sovteks) - the early ones weren't, and you need the PCB out of the way to ream them out a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've been told it's a 2006 model and should not exhibit the overheating rectifier fault.. not sure how true that is..
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1115
    Yep used to have one and surely enough the bridge rectifier went.

Was fine once repaired though, and as ICBM mentioned, check the holes for the valves.
    When I came to replace them sure enough they weren't wide enough.

Si_ said:
    I've been told it's a 2006 model and should not exhibit the overheating rectifier fault.. not sure how true that is..
    Not sure, although I can't remember seeing either any with a heatsink from the factory or any very recent models, so perhaps they did!

I forgot to mention that the stock bias is far too hot as well, which doesn't help with the overheating problem or with valve life - the stock setting at the test point is 1.375V, but you want 0.8V for the proper 70% of max dissipation… not far off half as much!

• swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    Had one. Speaker change and valve change with rebiasing are a must.

Loved the clean channel but did not care about od1 & 2. Beano Boost and BoR through the clean were fab.

Heard (but did not try) changing the cable that goes from the reverb tank to the amp improves the reverb use significantly, otherwise not very useful.
    swlabr said:
    Heard (but did not try) changing the cable that goes from the reverb tank to the amp improves the reverb use significantly, otherwise not very useful.
    No, it doesn't… it's just a cable :). The reverb is just a bit Marshall crap.

• HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137

I think the overheating problem was sorted in 2004 so 2006 will be ok. I had one, it definatly improved with a speaker swap. Sound wise they are pretty good.

• swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    ICBM said:
    swlabr said:
    No, it doesn't… it's just a cable :). The reverb is just a bit Marshall crap.
    Actually that's what I thought (had my suspicion as I think I read about it over at TGP). Could not care less about the reverb anyhow.

What seemed to work (but my hearing could have me mistaken again) was the loop boost mod. You connect a patch cable in the FX loop and turn the mix knob to max. That boosted the od channels. Not that I cared much as I hardly ever used them.

The FX loop has little use as it's parallel and the mix pot does not give full control over the wet/dry mix
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Si_ said:

Mine's around that age, and I've had no issues with reliability at all.

The reverb is a bit meh, but when you're using a Marshall you probably aren't too worried about reverb......

There is quite a lot of gain available. Mine's completely stock and has enough gain to play anything up to metal. It doesn't do extreme gain levels, but if you like the early Van Halen or Iron Maiden Marshally sounds you'll find them easily enough.

Allowing for a personal bias, I think it's a fannytastic amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)