£300 to spend on a modeller - new or used - what would you get?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Depends on the needs. 

I think a couple of units like the HD500x and some of this digitech ones (probably not the GSP 1101) have an irritating gap between changing patches whereas most Boss units don't. Most won't do trails for delay when switching banks. This may not may not be important for him.

Another consideration would be does he need a looper or 4 cable method integration. Some units do that and some don't 
    Can't say I've noticed any real latency on my HD500x when patch changing; but fair point about the delay trails.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Digitech GSP and foot controller perhaps ?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

I’d save a bit extra and get a 2nd hand HX stomp
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited March 2019
    NelsonP said:
    It's for a mate. He needs it mainly for jamming (DI'd to a PA).

Some home use - playing on headphones (so aux in handy), basic recording etc.
    He needs to think about what features and functionality he genuinely needs, and prioritise these e.g.

Is patch naming essential?
    Is ease of foot switch control important?
    Is ease of user interface important?
    Are scrolling menus acceptable or not?
    Is a looper facility needed?
    Are rhythm/drum beats needed?
    What fx are needed?
    What amp & cab models are needed?
    Are RI's a requirement?
    Is 4 cable option needed?
    Is size and weight a consideration?
    New with warranty or used?
    Is a built in expression pedal needed?
    Is an fx insert loop needed?

And then work on a process of elimination. For example, if patch naming is an absolute must have then the Boss ME70 or ME80 don't have this. If 4 cable is needed than none of the Vox Tonelab units offer this.  If scrolling menus are a no-no then most of the modern units won't suit and you're looking at ME70/80, Vox Tonelab SE/LE. 

It's just about finding the right fit. 

I have a Zoom G5n and Zoom gig bag for sale in the £fx section that might suit, for only £150 that gives a lot of bang for buck. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)