GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot
1101112131416»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    edited February 2020
    You are right of course. I just hoped I could free myself from the constraints of such a unit, with something more user friendly and in the ball park of the sound. Usual silly day dreaming I suspect. For what it's worth I use a deluxe reverb cab sim mixed with a Supro one via the IR loading stuff on the gsp

Putting the gsp in a rack case would cost more than the unit is worth sadly, hence also further reason for finding an alterative that actually might do what I want.

Alas though I think what I actually need is a different hobby and leave the guitar playing to those who can do it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    I use a ... cab sim ... via the IR loading stuff on the gsp
    This is fine for recording. Cab sim + real guitar amplifier loudspeaker(s) can do nasty things to the frequency spectrum. Try without the cab sim.

something more user friendly and in the ball park of the sound.
    For simple and convenient, try a pre-owned Roland Cube. Bassman is one of the preset models.

Money no object, run your favourite pedals into a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Ideally, wait until they appear on the secondhand market.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I use a ... cab sim ... via the IR loading stuff on the gsp
    This is fine for recording. Cab sim + real guitar amplifier loudspeaker(s) can do nasty things to the frequency spectrum. Try without the cab sim.

something more user friendly and in the ball park of the sound.
    For simple and convenient, try a pre-owned Roland Cube. Bassman is one of the preset models.

Money no object, run your favourite pedals into a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Ideally, wait until they appear on the secondhand market.
    I bypass the cab sim when going through the amp, the Cab sim is on the DI outputs but I use the line out into the amp which has no cab sim attached to it. I only use the cab sim through headphones or through my apparently inept monitor speakers

Thanks for the suggestions but, I suspect I'm onto a loser here generally trying to reach the unobtainable, then beating myself when I can not. I think losses will soon be cut.
    thecolourbox said:
    I suspect I'm onto a loser here ... trying to reach the unobtainable, then, beating myself when I can not.
    Indubitably, Watson. 

thecolourbox said:
    I think losses will soon be cut.
    The modelling technology in the GSP1101 is over ten years old. Judging by Interweb preset demonstrations, the sounds are sub-optimal.

The elderly ancient GSP2101 and more recent 2112 are miles better.
  • The modelling technology in the GSP1101 is over ten years old. Judging by Interweb preset demonstrations, the sounds are sub-optimal. 

The elderly ancient GSP2101 and more recent 2112 are miles better.
    Not my experience. Just coz something is old doesn’t mean it isn’t good. It is far less flexible and less easy to use then recent models but with decent IRs it can hold its own with modern modelling units for actual tones. 
    Just coz something is old doesn’t mean it isn’t good.
    Uh-oh. 

You appear to be saying that the only explanation for thecolourbox’s GSP1101 woes is pilot error.  :/
  • No I think he was saying he wanted something a bit more user friendly which is fair enough...that’s why I moved away from the GSP1101 myself. I think it’s a mistake to write it off because the modelling is old though. That actual sounds out of it are great. 
  • Just coz something is old doesn’t mean it isn’t good.
    Uh-oh. 

You appear to be saying that the only explanation for thecolourbox’s GSP1101 woes is pilot error.  :/
    It certainly is
  • I have one for sale if anyone wants one?
  • Not been much in this thread for ages. 

I thought I'd share a recent discovery re the GSP1101. You'll all be aware probably that the volume increases if you have the compressor Post Amp rather than Pre amp, when it is switched off. I have also discovered this week that the Clean Volume setting on the Sparkdrive model also affects the sound when switched off - seems like the clean boost function of the Sparkdrive is active regardless of whether the pedal is on or off.

Previously I'd thought that the Sparkdrive had no effect on the sound when switched on, as it sounded the same as when switched off so I just left it switched off. But this is why!
    I have one for sale if anyone wants one?
    How much, mister?

I’m curious to try one, if only to comprehend what Matt is going on about.

Would a Roland FC-300 MIDI controller pedals unit suffice for patch selection and expression functions?