250ML Gallien

What's Hot
chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
edited August 2013 in Amps
Borrowed one yesterday, and had a plonk around with it earlier. Result: I have just returned from the 80's, but fear not, once I get these spandex strides off I'll be back to normal voice pitch. I thought it was awesome, what a sound from two tiddly little 5" speakers! What a fantastic sound! No, get down, boy! No more gas!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Is it for sale? :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought one in 1988 new, £750 which at the time seemed a huge sum but the sound fitted the times, echo and chorus pretty much "always on" through two cabinets.  I did grow to dislike the sterile sound eventually (using an early Strat Plus with gold Lace Sensors...).  I almost bought the rack mount 250RL version a while back from Ebay (sure Bignorm from the old MR forum had one too). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    I'll give you £200 to completely destroy it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73542
    I hated them at the time and I don't think they've improved with age.

I had one of the bass ones, it sounded OK and surprisingly loud at home, but at gig volume the sound came out about six inches and then stopped dead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 438
    I kind of liked them - like the JC120 they're very much of the era. Gilmour used them on Delicate Sound Of Thunder iirc
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8588
    Never trust an amp named after a size of drink I always say
    And a small drink at that
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I've decided I'm not rushing out to buy one, but I do think if you want to recreate 'that 80's hair-metal, cock-rock sound', then this conjures it all up in a small box, and it does so very well indeed.

• The 6.5" "Pyle" speakers are a known weakness over time, the rubber cone edges perish but TBH I never used them, using 1x12 cabs or a split 4x12. 

I borrowed them from our guitarist, who also has the rack-mounted version. I think the effects on that model are controllable, rather than on/off.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73542
    I think most of the pros who used them did put them through bigger cabs - up to and including a pair of 4x12"s.

To me they're like the Yamaha DX7 of guitar amps. When they came out they seemed amazingly powerful for what they were, and were capable of a lot of very different, new sounds which nothing old could do. They got used on just about everything.

Looking back (or even if you looked beyond the novelty, at the time) they sounded thin and artificial. The newness of the sound quickly wore off and they proved not to be very versatile after all because they couldn't really do any other type of sound either. They're now almost laughably stuck in the 1980s if you hear records with them on.

[Controversial thread diversion ;)] Line6 are the DX7/GK of the last ten years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    I wonder what it'd be like as a small monitor with a modeler.
    My mate uses his exclusively for recording these days.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I was a big fan of Rush in the mid '80s, when Alex Lifeson was using these.

Does it sound like that?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    edited August 2013

Hmmmm.....yes, I think you could be right there. I does sound very similar. I asked our bass player, who used to be in a Rush tribute band, and he came back with this War & Peace-length dissertation -

Alex Lifeson

Guitars

The Signatures were strung with Dean Markley strings at .009, .010, .016., .028, .038 and .048. lubed with Finger Ease String Lubricant.

Keyboards

• Yamaha KX76 - Accesses samplers along with pedals. Fed into Gallien-Krueger 250ML amplifier as a monitor. This and second set of pedals removed after 'Time Stand Still'.

Other Instruments

Amplifiers

• Bryston 2B Solid State Power Amplifier
    • Crown Macro Power Amplifier
    • Mesa Boogie
    • Mesa Boogie Cabinets (4)
    • Gallien-Krueger Cabinet (4)
    • Gallien-Krueger 250ML

Started tour with Bryston amplifiers, then changed to Crown Macro amplifiers, ending the tour using Mesa Boogie amplifiers driving cabinets with 4 2x12 25-watt Geenback GM70 Celestion speakers. 2 cabinets were miked with the Sure SM 57's. Remaing 2 cabinets were for backline only. All 4 2 x 12 Gallien-Krueger cabinets were permanently mounted in lead-lined houses to insure perfect sound seperation between each cabinet.

Microphones

• Sure SM 57
    • Sennhheiser MD 421

Effects & Electronics

Equipment

• Omega Guitar Stand
    • Finger Ease String Lubricant
    Hope that helps - gosh I'm a Rush geek...

So, yes, our bassist is a Rush geek!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    :-O

Bloody hell! (Thanks)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    I laughed out loud when I got to the Finger-Ease lubricant!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think that might be made up.
    No - you used to be able to buy it... From music shops I might add. It was a spray can iirc
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1632
    Had one in the 80s. Alex Lifeson recorded Power Windows with one. Got nostalgic for another recently but then discovered the Yamaha THR10C (or variants), which sounds equally huge but a thousand times better and is a thousand times quieter (my old GK hissed like a bastard). Recently got a GK MB150E bass amp, though, and it's magnif

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom