Tape Over Headstock Logo?

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    DiscoStu said:
    Billy Gibbons did this on Jools Holland a few years ago. Taped over the Gibson logo then wrote 'Tokai' on it! 

https://i.imgur.com/lMvIW1V.png

But aren't quite a lot of his modern "Gibson" guitars actually made by John Bolin ?
    Or is this some higher level of irony that the rev has going on here ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Can't remember who it was but I recall seeing a band on tv a few years ago who were using a full Orange backline. They'd put black tape over the Orange logo thus rendering the amps completely unrecognisable!  ;)
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10524
    Iguitars4you said:
    I think I recall there was something similar to this when Steve Cradock played with Paul Weller - Steve had his PRS Mira headstock taped up - allegedly as Paul did  not like PRS Guitars, or what they represented !!!
    Slightly off topic but Guitar Classics have a couple of Steve Cradocks PRS guitars in the shop at the mo..
    http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/other01.html

it could well have been that cherry Mira
    Heh heh, a friend of mine was working on Wellers Aston Martin a while back so a PRS should be the least of his worries if he wants to play the simple working man!

I was thinking about covering my logo up purely because it says Fender and it's not a Fender, the previous owner put a fake Fender logo on it which I think is tacky as hell but he's lacquered over it so I can't just pull it off 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11509
    edited June 2018

Roland said:
    When The Who played at the London Olympics party Pete Townshend had to tape over the Fender logos on his amps because of the IOC’s policy on brand marketing 

That's getting ridiculous.  I'd have been tempted to have gone on stage and made a public show of ripping the tape off.  It's not like Townsend needs the money.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11415
    Maybe they're sponsored by the people who make black tape.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheRobLewTheRobLew Frets: 11
    I read an interview with Eddie Grant years ago, he was using Ibanez guitars, having hits all over the world, and when he approached them for "help" with gear, he said they refused, so he started taping his headstock logos up.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14712
    tFB Trader
    @Gassage might give better details than me - But see/hear it in cricket on bat endorsement deals and sometimes bats tapped up if they are not getting the appropriate sponsorship deal - maybe tennis as well
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    is like BMW owners opting to have the model badges removed so you think it a better spec than is...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @Gassage might give better details than me - But see/hear it in cricket on bat endorsement deals and sometimes bats tapped up if they are not getting the appropriate sponsorship deal - maybe tennis as well
    mark,

more so that players want the best bats so use anything and shove labels on

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    DiscoStu said:
    Billy Gibbons did this on Jools Holland a few years ago. Taped over the Gibson logo then wrote 'Tokai' on it! 

https://i.imgur.com/lMvIW1V.png

Maybe he was hoping it would improve the quality of his guitar ;)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1625

Olympics is one of the worst.  They go to extreme lengths like going round the broadcast centre and taping over "HP" logo's on the printers - just in case a camera is used in the office space.  Sponsors pay millions at those events for exclusivity so I guess IOC are worried about any contractual issues where they'd have to credit them back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Olympics is one of the worst.  They go to extreme lengths like going round the broadcast centre and taping over "HP" logo's on the printers - just in case a camera is used in the office space.  Sponsors pay millions at those events for exclusivity so I guess IOC are worried about any contractual issues where they'd have to credit them back.

It is insane, 

I used to work for a company that was one of the primary suppliers of video kit for London 2012 and because Panasonic is one of the primary sponsors any video kit that is in the field of competition has to be Panasonic. 

So in exchange for the perceived honour & prestige of being involved the company was forced to spend a fortune on Panasonic LED screens, cameras & mixers etc. 

Non of it was industry standard and some of wasn't really fit for purpose, with the knock on problem that post event we were saddled with this huge pile of kit that we couldn't sell or cross rent to other companies because no one wants a Panasonic camera for a live event ! But because all the cap ex had been spent on it we had to keep using the gear even though it was rubbish !

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11509
    edited June 2018

The Olympics went too far.  I can't remember which way around it was, but I think you couldn't use Visa to pay for anything in the Olympic park because MasterCard were a sponsor.  They can bog off if they think I'm getting a new card just so they can sell me overpriced drinks.  The government shouldn't have let them get away with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    Yes, the Visa card thing was bizarre.  I was due to be working in the broadcast centre for 2012 but ended up on a different project.  Friends that worked there had the Visa problem.  I've heard rumours at other events of "Armitage Shanks" or whatever being taped over in the loo's!
    Yes, the Visa card thing was bizarre.  I was due to be working in the broadcast centre for 2012 but ended up on a different project.  Friends that worked there had the Visa problem.  I've heard rumours at other events of "Armitage Shanks" or whatever being taped over in the loo's!
    The massive outdoor LED screen in the main arena had a huge illuminated "Panasonic" logo built in to the surround. Which mercifully covered all the GLec logos on the back of the LED tiles....

I was meant to be working on it but I actually failed security clearance. In a fit of national pride my father registered me as an Italian citizen when  I was born but I swerved my national service so I'm notionally listed as a deserter from the Italian army (stop laughing) which occasionally trips me up when trying to get security clearance.. I was talking about it to a rigger I knew, he said he'd also failed security clearance, when I asked why he came back with "Did a ten stretch for armed robbery". Made me feel a bit pedestrian by comparison...
    11reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1826
    crunchman said:

The Olympics went too far.  I can't remember which way around it was, but I think you couldn't use Visa to pay for anything in the Olympic park because MasterCard were a sponsor.  They can bog off if they think I'm getting a new card just so they can sell me overpriced drinks.  The government shouldn't have let them get away with that.
    FIFA are no better. I think the biggest fine a football player has ever received was Niklas Bentner showing underpants that weren't an official sponsor at a World Cup.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5435
    @DrBob a more cunning employer would have bought a job lot of Panasonic badges and stuck them on the non-Panasonic kit :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    @DrBob a more cunning employer would have bought a job lot of Panasonic badges and stuck them on the non-Panasonic kit :)
    There was definitely none of that going on, no sir !......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I immediately thought of Wayne Kranz. Here is his reasoning:

"I noticed that you’ve taped up part of your Tyler guitar’s headstock. 
    I’m into graphics. I care about that and James Tyler has a design there that I just didn’t like. He’s cool with it. In fact, he’s making me a guitar and he’s actually going to build it with that black stripping."

I find the shape of the headstock far less to my taste than the logo, but Tyler have such a great rep that I'd still play one.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DLM said:

I immediately thought of Wayne Kranz. Here is his reasoning:

"I noticed that you’ve taped up part of your Tyler guitar’s headstock. 
    I’m into graphics. I care about that and James Tyler has a design there that I just didn’t like. He’s cool with it. In fact, he’s making me a guitar and he’s actually going to build it with that black stripping."

I find the shape of the headstock far less to my taste than the logo, but Tyler have such a great rep that I'd still play one.

That seems such a bizarre reason to me. To be honest I kind of suspect it's not the real reason purely because I find it so odd.