Help choosing a Gibson LP

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited April 2014
    Clingy said:
    ...  And do you really think you need to be a musician to appreciate music/tone?  ....
    No, you don't have to be a musician to appreciate tone. But it is very unlikely that a non-musician would be able to make specific, useful recommendations about how to achieve a particular sound.
    Clingy said:
    .... Anyway, lets say the "help" is a record producer.

And a record producer, of course, would be one of the few exceptions!  :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31905
    edited April 2014
    mart;202353" said:
    Clingy said:

...  And do you really think you need to be a musician to appreciate music/tone?  ....

No, you don't have to be a musician to appreciate tone. But it is very unlikely that a non-musician would be able to make specific, useful recommendations about how to achieve a particular sound.

Clingy said:

.... Anyway, lets say the "help" is a record producer.

And a record producer, of course, would be one of the few exceptions!  :D
    Actually most producrs know naff all about specifics, that's what engineers are for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I got a '91 Studio in January with ebony board and monster pickups, tis brilliant. Cost significantly less than £1000 too. Alternatively what about a tele deluxe?
  • ClingyClingy Frets: 19
    Well he now has a Gibson Les Paul 2013 Standard.  Seems he was dead set on one.  After bidding and failing on at least half a dozen second hand ones, he eventually got a new one from Macari's at only a little more than his failed ebay bids!
  • 'Kid needs a firebird.......

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    Could he not just fit a humbucker into the tele? A guitar is a guitar at the end of the day. I was in a humbucker/single coil band (i had the SG, and the other guitarist had a Tele). It did blend well. But I have to say I was never advised by any professional to change my guitar. Apples and oranges.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Clingy said:
      Seems he was dead set on one.  
    I would suggest this probably trumps any advice the chap received from any quarter.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Kids of today.

"Dad, this music professional guy who knows what he's talking about says I really _need_ a Gibson Les Paul if I'm going to get anywhere in a band. Buy me one Dad, go on, go on, go on..."

"No, it _has_ to be a Gibson Les Paul. Buy me one. Go on, go on, go on..."

"Go on, go on, go on..."
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Clingy said:
    Well he now has a Gibson Les Paul 2013 Standard.  Seems he was dead set on one.  After bidding and failing on at least half a dozen second hand ones, he eventually got a new one from Macari's at only a little more than his failed ebay bids!
    Nice. I'm sure he'll love it, and that can really help to motivate a player. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Sure it isn't something as simple as the 2 guitarists playing the same full 6 string barre chords - it sounds terrible - really muddy.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ClingyClingy Frets: 19
    They sounded fine when I went to one of their gigs.  When I borrowed his Tele it was very poorly set-up which I sorted.  And they can't be that bad if they have just been signed for the IOW Festival this year, I guess....and just turned 16?
  • Can we see some video footage or hear some audio? I'd love to know why he thought the Tele was the problem...