Laney Supergroup mini st amp

JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
Anyone bought one?
Think this will tick my home practice solution and be more portable than my valve amp and medium pedal board at home.
Like the look of stereo delay and the £59 price tag.
Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I bought one a month ago with some birthday money :) It sounds like it is voiced alot like my laney lionheart. It can go far brighter than the lionheart and is snappy with a fair amount of chime. Sadly I have never played the blackstar fly or boss katana mini which will be its main competition so I have no basis for comparison. It does not sound like a toy to me and im using it late in the evenings. The delay is nice and I get some good slapback. I have not tried the LSI function as my phone is 5 years old and is incompatable with the software. It can actually go pretty loud to the point where I havent really cranked it. There was a bit of slight farting out on the speaker at good volume when I first got it but after a couple hours break in it was gone.  Im using it most evenings and its working for me so far.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    Thanks for the review.
    Jon
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    No worries. Theres not many real world reviews of this amp and youtube demos are sparse. Its certainly not getting the exposure of the boss katana mini!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Your best bet is to compare it to the Katana Mini and the Fly 3 in a shop that has all 3. I think PMT in Liverpool will most likely be the closest. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5847
    edited July 2018
    I quite like the look of this. Would do very nicely for sitting outside on a nice evening without the big extension lead kerfuffle. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    I'm waiting for my local shop to stock these to try one out. I'm hoping it will be useful at kids-in-bed volume. If I get one before you I'll let you know what I think.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    thanks all for the comments
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5847
    Having had a little play with/through one of these I can give a bit of a report......

It looks really sweet (The Lion one) and the grill cloth is nice enough to not appear like a toy. As for the sound, you certainly wouldn’t want it as your only amp. It’s definitely best as an extra, unless all you ever do do is play at very very low volume and don’t much care about the tone of your guitar. With the drive switch off I could have it all to the max and not annoy anyone next door.

As for the sound, it’s far from unpleasant and actually even has a little character of its own which I definitely like. It does sound like what it is though, a very small box with little power and tiny speakers. 

The drive is is not great. At all!! If you want something that sounds like a very small radio that’s not quite tuned in and turned up too loud, this is your baby. But in fairness, after I’d made a face and poo-poohed it, I did start to enjoy playing some nasty greasy shuffling chord riffs that I’d never normally play. So it can be fun. 

The delay however is great, can be quite pronounced and at its lower levels does a nice job of filling in for some reverb. Which I guess is the whole point. 

All in all, I’d say if you want a very compact travel companion (think toddler sized shoe box) or something to use in the garden on a nice evening that works well and looks great, this will make you smile a lot. 
    Thanks for this...helpful 
    Jon