Anyone got a maya gibson copy

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18750
    Hi, it is labelled as an F-344R. (I can send pics if needed) but I bought it 'on spec' as a random purchase based upon my previous experience of Maya's & 'vibes'. Hardly a universal rational reason but I have my own collecting strategies which generally have given me very much fun for not a lot of outlay  =)  For those interested, the Maya 'Martin-ish" sounds bloody good, even without major tweaks.  Not just my opinion, also of a serious muso friend that dislikes spruce topped acoustics but is a Lowden owner. It upset him a little  :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This does sound close (but we all know how subjective 'tone' is  ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lx8Fnk7EMA
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Hi KDS. Glad that the pics finally got through. I have owned that Maya since January 2011. I bought it on evilbay from a seller in ... (it's been a while) Devon, or somewhere down in that there South ;-) It was a female seller that was the only previous owner I believe. I do have her name from the correspondence that we had, but you will understand that I cannot make such details public here.  Please let me know if there's anything else that I can try to help with. Cheers.
    @KDS is in Devon....
    Hi @danishbacon . Yes, KDS pm'd me regarding the guitar, but the histories didn't match. Being honest, I'm relieved, as I don't now have to feel conflicted about keeping it. Thanks for keeping an eye out for KDS as a fellow forum member. That to me is what it's all about  =)
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Ah that's a shame (and a positive as well). Reunited stories are understandably pleasant :)
    I agree. There is a real pleasure to be had from such synchronicities. But you can't win 'em all.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    The forum is great place, I've actually made a couple of 'real' friends that I keep in touch with outside of the forum. I haven't seen the guitar I've been looking for in a long time, it's not the same guitar, actually it came to me after discussing the guitar in question was plain top, not sunburst finish, i think the pick guard was smaller as well. My friends guitar was bought new from a guitar shop (long gone) in Ilfracombe, devon sometime in the early 80s. There was interesting story regarding the shop, Ican't 100% recall, but I think there was some issue of getting particular brands of guitars, ended up with a 'Maya' and was amazed how good it was. Maybe he sold a number of Maya's, hence the devon connection. 
    I bought a Maya 370, martin copy for my partner, it's loud! Absolutely booms! Big neck.Is it a good as my Brook Teign, probably not, but it's not far off and has a sound all its own. Very different to how I remember how the Maya N45J sounds
    @KDS Welcome back to the rabbit hole/looking glass world of trying to find any actual facts about 1970's MIJ guitars, much less tracing a particular one. As a Maya collector/accumulator, I'm likely to stumble across other styles, so I'll keep an eye out for Gibson styled plaintops  ;)
    thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think so, it had sloped shoulders
    Oh great, now I have a new unicorn to chase  ;)
    As I'm finished work for the year thought I'd have a look for my old friends Maya N45J and bump this old thread.  Has any body seen a Maya Gibson copy over the last year?  thanks in advance :)
  • Haven't been looking but I did own one of these for several years...

https://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/21420/1325.html?1177369747

A lovely player, needed a neck reset, but had a vibe all its own. Some of the Maya Hummingbird acoustics have an adjustable bridge. Mine and the one pictured here have the simple plastic bridge. 

@KDS  Hi again  ;)
    Your post was the reason I joined tFB, to talk Maya Gibson copies  :3
    The original pics I posted using TinyURL have now disappeared.
    Would it be of any help to you if I were to repost some photo's of my Maya N45J ?
    @KDS  Hi again  ;)
    Would it be of any help to you if I were to repost some photo's of my Maya N45J ?
    no need to repost, it seems from your fret count you been quite popular on the fretboard :)

KDS said:
    @KDS  Hi again  ;)
    no need to repost, it seems from your fret count you been quite popular on the fretboard :)

Nice of you to say so, but I reckon that the majority are 'Wows' aghast at what I have said or are laughing at me :-D  
     I may repost pics at some point anyway, as I really love that guitar  :)
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited December 2020
    Not much help, perhaps, but a guy I used to work with owns an acoustic that I'm pretty sure he told me was a Maya.
    This video probably won't help anyone identify anything, but if interested I may be able to get in touch with him about it.  (Bristol area)
    https://youtu.be/sRZYspeI4QQ

• I've got a Maya J45 copy bought in Ilfracombe in 1982, now almost 40 yrs. Good as new, wonderful sound, serial no #3545. Any idea as to value if A1 condition? 
    Hi @Anengarth  the honest but unhelpful answer is the guitar is worth whatever someone will pay for it on any given day.
    My Maya N45J is in very good condition too, with it's original hardcase & I don't have any intention of selling it, but I'd be pushed to put a price on it as I feel it is worth more than I would be offered...
    They should be sought after as they have most of the 'plus points' that people say they want. Light weight, made in the 1970's in Japan, mahogany 'baseball bat' neck, rosewood fretboard, solid spruce top, Gibson open book head stock & 2 screw bell TRC, J45 style, resonant guitar. Getting a good price would be down to salesmanship & pure luck (as ever).
    People that have actually handled & played one tend to have good opinions of them, but as few people have done this the prices tend to stay lower & vague. 
    Comparing them to similar Ibanez made guitars of the period should give a reasonable idea of values as they have a sort of historical & geographical kinship, but if you find someone that really wants it, then a better price is possible.

Also, out of curiosity, where is your serial number located?
    Mine is inside the guitar, ink stamped at the bottom of the neck & is an 8 digit number.