amplifier repair london

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Is there anything to be aware of when taking an amp to a tech? Something like taking it out of the headshell first to save labour time and reduce costs, if that's a thing. Also is there any reason it shouldn't be taken on tube/bus?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    Is there anything to be aware of when taking an amp to a tech? Something like taking it out of the headshell first to save labour time and reduce costs, if that's a thing. Also is there any reason it shouldn't be taken on tube/bus?
    Taking the amp of the headshell with not save you any money!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Unless the amp is a real monster and impractical to carry in one piece (eg at least Fender Quad Reverb combo size), do *not* dismantle it yourself. As jpfamps said, it won't save you any money, and it's not helpful for troubleshooting, or moving and storing the amp in the workshop.

It also makes it impossible for the tech to check that it gets put back together correctly and safely. (For example here seems to be a common belief that amp manufacturers fit extra for screws for fun, and so not all of them are needed... ;) ) So in theory if the tech is sticking strictly to the rules and covering him/herself, it should not be returned in functional condition but should be disabled in some way to prevent it being plugged in and turned on with the chassis open. At the very least, I would expect you to have to sign a disclaimer when you collect it and not get a warranty on the work.

Although at least it's not as funny as when someone asks if they can have a guitar set-up done more cheaply because they've thoughtfully taken the strings off for you... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's great then, I didn't really fancy taking it out! Plus now I don't need to make a thread about saving money removing strings  B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CbmCbm Frets: 0
    +1 for Sickamps in Harlow are easy to get to from London only 20 minutes on train from capital, and about 40 minute drive up the M11.  https://sickamps.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom