Anyone into 1/10 RC buggy racing?

HaychHaych Frets: 5727
I used to race when I was still in school.  A couple of years ago I bought some RTR cars for the kids before my marriage went kaput and the stepson left with his mother.  I still have one of them and have upgraded the chassis considerably since (mainly because it was very breakable every time the lad looked at it) but all the gubbins inside are still stock.

Things have moved on a bit since I used to race but I've been thinking of joining the local club and taking the lad with me in an attempt to wean him off the Playstation a bit (he does have guitar lessons too but it's a chore to get him passionately into anything other than gaming at the moment).

I've just about worked out new LiPo battery technology and have come to a basic understanding of brushless motors but still wouldn't know what ESC and motor combo to choose to be fast/competitive enough.

I know some people take buggy racing incredibly seriously so I'm not hoping to have the best car out there because somebody will always turn up with the latest and fastest kit, but I'd still like to show the lad that it can be fun.

So, if anyone is into buggy racing, what ESC/Motor combos should I be looking at, please?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    I used to race RC until about 5 years ago but it was mainly on-road at that time and brushless and lipo were just becoming mainstream.

I suggest aiming for a stock class to start back with rather than going down the 'fastest' route for 2 reasons:
    1) It should keep the cost down initially while you decide if it's something you're going to do seriously again
    2) If you go for the class that replaced the old 27T brushed class it should be quick enough to be challenging while you re-discover your driving skills. Also it will mean that an entry level lipo will have no problem delivering the 5 minute race at full power and you may get a couple of races without the need to recharge.

Remember - going fast normally just means getting to your next crash quicker!! ;)

Of course the obvious thing to do is go and visit your local club and chat to people. See what classes are being run and decide where you want to fit in
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6883
    I used to enjoy playing. 

I never ‘raced’ per se, but I did build a tamiya wrc Subaru about 15 years ago which I still have. 

Its quite cool, being able to build and mod something without it costing a whole lot. 

I always intended upgrading the battery, motor etc. Think it was a tt-01 chassis. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...