How on Earth do you tame a loud drummer???

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33957
    Danny1969 said:
    I know a lot of session drummers after working in 2020 for 5 years. I have to say all those are hard hitters, not so much on the hat and cymbals (thankfully) but they tend to hit the skins consistently hard, that's why they record so well. 

In small venues a hard hitting drummer can be a problem but different kits can help. Below session drummer Mitch Glover is dep'ing in my band as our normal drummer was on tour with Ward Thomas. Look at the size of the kit he's using - that's then mic'ed through the PA so still sounds decent 

Our current drummer who's also a session guy and drum teacher brings a similar cocktail kit for small venues, it really helps
    That is the trick- heavy and consistent on the drums and vary the levels of the cymbals.
    Many drummers don't practice this way so when they are asked to do it on the spur of the moment they can't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    To be fair to drummers (can't believe I'm saying that...), we guitarists can also be guilty of the "is has to be on 12 O'Clock, or it just doesn't sound like me" syndrome. 

I played with a punk drummer who was devilishly, painfully loud - but awesome.  We got into a bit of a battle though, over volume, and the band on the whole suffered.

Drummers are weird.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    MrBump said:
    To be fair to drummers (can't believe I'm saying that...), we guitarists can also be guilty of the "is has to be on 12 O'Clock, or it just doesn't sound like me" syndrome. 

I played with a punk drummer who was devilishly, painfully loud - but awesome.  We got into a bit of a battle though, over volume, and the band on the whole suffered.

Drummers are weird.
    Never been a problem for me.. we mostly practice in the evening. 

@Danny1969 - really enjoyed that clip :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33957
    LuttiS said:
    MrBump said:

Drummers are weird.
    Never been a problem for me.. we mostly practice in the evening. 

@Danny1969 - really enjoyed that clip :)
    Guitarists are too loud. :)

(Kidding.... sort of)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    MrBump said:
    To be fair to drummers, this is true. The "it needs to be cranked to the sweet spot" thing is very annoying, and the worst offenders in my experience are the low-power snobs who seem to think that everyone only needs 15W, but you then have to use all of it.

If you can't get the sound you want without cranking the amp up, then you either need a better amp (quite likely a more powerful one with a better master volume) which isn't so fussy, or an attenuator. And no they don't 'suck tone', it's almost all perception.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited July 2018
    Danny1969 said:
    Look at the size of the kit he's using - that's then mic'ed through the PA so still sounds decent 

This may not be entirely relevant and the style of the video will not be everyone's bag (though I found it amusing!). I was very impressed with that this guy could achieve with a tiny kit.  There's a link to a video of him playing it at the end 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    What annoys me so much isnt necesary volume but bad dynamics...like our drummer plays really hard to get good tone for quiet bits but then cant maintain that volume for fast double bass parts. The result is either we set the guitar / vocal volumes to his fast playing and then he stomps all voer the more subtle sections or we set to the clean bits and we have to have the distorted guitars crazy loud to maintain an impact when switchign..which then is too loud for his drumming...etc
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5128
    edited July 2018
    What annoys me so much isnt necesary volume but bad dynamics...like our drummer plays really hard to get good tone for quiet bits but then cant maintain that volume for fast double bass parts. The result is either we set the guitar / vocal volumes to his fast playing and then he stomps all voer the more subtle sections or we set to the clean bits and we have to have the distorted guitars crazy loud to maintain an impact when switchign..which then is too loud for his drumming...etc
    See that a lot with black and death metal bands. 
    Drum fills are twice as pound as their beats. 

*edited for very random auto correct
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    Well despite what others have said about having to hit hard to get "the sound", this just sounds like bad musicianship. 

He's not listening to anyone else and he's not interested in anyone else.

Good luck and all that, but in my experience you cannot train someone out of that mindset, you just need a new drummer.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hiwatts.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    http://worldbenzo.online/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Temazepam10mg-600x533.jpg

* disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this post do not constitute medical advice.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited July 2018
    Shock collar connected to db meter.  But often best way is heads that produce correct volume for his harder style of play
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    edited July 2018
    Kick him out. If he can't do what the rest of you agree the Music needs then find someone who can. 
    Not being harsh, but I'm too long in the tooth to put up with people who aren't prepared to contribute equally, thoughtfully and creatively. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6413
    Electronic kit ;)  Just turn his mix up, and the rest down - works wonders !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Positive reinforcement.  Every time he manages a fill at lower volume give him a sweet.

They're simple beings, and will soon learn.

The downside may be he soon qualifies for a sumo tournament.  
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    merlin said:
    Drummer kicks off at 1.07....

Wow that guy would be great to play with just look at him...

Crikey, I sound like Kevin Spacey...

He would be great to be on a stage with, there we go...
    I’d like to play with the singer and share a stage with the drummer...

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2447
    Hire a jazz drummer, or someone who has studied jazz rudiments. The dynamic range they can get of a snare and a hi-hit for example is beyond what the hard hitting egotistical types could ever achieve.

As a side note, and joking aside, I remember hearing somewhere that the sign of a good drummer is as you listen to the music you don't realise he's there.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5128
    What music are you playing? 

I have never had a problem with drummers being too loud but have problems with them being too quite.