Friedman PT20 Revalve

matt.drink73matt.drink73 Frets: 153
Hi guys, I’ve been hammering the nuts off my pink taco for a few years and never had any issues but just realised I’ve not changed the valves since I got it and I’m heading into the studio next month and want it sounded tip top so thought I’d change them. Does anyone have any recommendations for some nice ones? So far I was thinking some Gold Lion EL84s and Tung Sol 12AX7s. I’ve had good experiences with JJ in the past but fancy something a little more special for such a nice amp, though I don’t fancy selling my soul for mullards or anything! Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Not had great results with either Golden Lion EL84s nor Tungsol 12AX7s to be honest.

JJ-EL84s are probably the best current production.

Not sure what to recommend in that amp re 12AX7s.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have Tung-Sol 12AX7's in a DSL401 combo. They have a warmer and gainier tone than the originals, which I like. 
  • matt.drink73matt.drink73 Frets: 153
    I have heard mostly good things about the Tung sol 12ax7 so I think that's probably where I'll sway, it's the EL84s I'm still a little undecided on. I think I'll most likely go for JJ's as I need to break them in so don't have that long to decide
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2603
    tFB Trader
    You need to make sure you can use Tung Sol 12AX7 in that amp, they don't like cathode follower positions and unless the heaters are elevated will fail early. I don't have a schematic to know if they have elevated the heaters, they do on the larger amps.
  • matt.drink73matt.drink73 Frets: 153
    edited July 2018
    You need to make sure you can use Tung Sol 12AX7 in that amp, they don't like cathode follower positions and unless the heaters are elevated will fail early. I don't have a schematic to know if they have elevated the heaters, they do on the larger amps.
    Ah I perhaps should've refreshed this before ordering!
     I went for a couple of Tung sol RIs and a Gold pin TS for V1 and some JJ's.
     I can't find a schematic anywhere and if I'm honest a lot of that went straight over my head, how much of an issue could it be?