4 months in Bristol

What's Hot
LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
edited July 2018 in Off Topic
Looks like I've volunteered to consult 2-3 days per week in Bristol for the next four months.

Anything I should know about areas to investigate, avoid, or good sources of info on things to do? The job is a couple of miles to the NE of the city centre.

Got a budget for £140/night hotel and £25/night entertainment, so any pointers in the former would be gladly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    BrisVegas

Clifton/Redlands is the posh bit but a decent walk into town.

Docks area is nice and is pretty central.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    This ^^ 

plenty of places to eat in the city centre or up in Clifton too. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7236
    I'm jealous, it's a great city and Clifton has a lovely village feel but is walkable into town too. I can imagine it's a pretty expensive part to stay in though.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    The Cotham area is ok, bit close to the hospitals so tends to be a bit Dr ish.  Easier walk into town though parking can be a pain.  

• The office is in the NE - if I'm not staying there am I going to get smashed with commuting across?
    When you say NE where exactly
  • Emersons Green, looks like?
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 993
    Commuting is a challenge in Brizzle, though maybe I understate...
    Any distance across the northern side of town is slow from around 0630 to 0930, the ring road is largely designed as a traffic flow impediment (save by helo).  The train is popular and crowded, but works reasonably if you are on a hub/spoke commute.
    Emersons Green, looks like?
    Ah...that's not ideal for getting in and out of town. You're on the ring road so I guess bussing it is an option if you stayed centrally. I don't know that area particularly well.....
  • danodano Frets: 1595
    edited July 2018
    Keep out of Fishponds. That's what I mostly remember from Bristol.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    They've just opened the new bus which goes directly into town from Emerson's green. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    There is a premier Inn with carvery attached in Emerson green and the horseshoe in Downend a spit away which has live bands
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Thanks chaps - I'll be driving rather than public transport (since I live down by Caterham so just a nip around the M25 and then across, otherwise a 4hr odyssey with multiple busses, trains and cabs) so public transport only a factor if I go on the raz!
  • I Iive 5 mins from Emersons Green and work in the centre, Bristol is a great city and lots to do here. Feel free to ask any questions...

Theres nowhere specific to avoid, Bristol is a very cultured city and feels like a small version of London (lived there for a few years). The best places to spend a weekend are by the docks or up on the Downs, both great open spaces. If it's raining Cabot Circus is good for shopping and the cinema etc. For fine dining Clifton has some of the best restaurants. There's some good music shops too and Bristol is pretty close to Bath which is a great day out. 

Feel free to drop me a message if you want to know anything specific. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited July 2018
    dano said:
    Keep out of Fishponds. That's what I mostly remember from Bristol.
    I survived four years there without dying. it's not a cultural mecca but it's friendly enough. Downend is fun. The Horseshoe as recommended does live bands but it is not a place I'd choose to spend time in. Duck and Willow up the road will cost more but the beer's better and the food is excellent. 

Stoke's Croft. If you want to see Bristol as opposed to going around the posher bits which are just like posh bits everywhere else, then visit the Croft. 

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    "The Old Duke" on King William St. is a Bristol institution - live jazz (and sometimes blues) every night, no entry fee (though they pass round a bucket once a set for contributions) and you can spill out onto the street.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    LoFi said:
    "The Old Duke" on King William St. is a Bristol institution - live jazz (and sometimes blues) every night, no entry fee (though they pass round a bucket once a set for contributions) and you can spill out onto the street.
    And I shall be there on Thursday if all goes to plan. Excellent place.