The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6190
    But the graph and YT clip did not support your point.

The graph you chose was not representative of current sensors. The one I posted is and it shows a clear and consistent difference: as big a difference between the EOS M3's and X-T3 APS-C sensors as there is between the X-T3 and the full-frame A7iii sensors. Now, that particular sensor value isn't the only reason to buy the X-T3 over the EOS M3, for sure. And that's also true of the A7iii FF over the X-T3 (neither of which, alas, can I justify buying).

The YT clip was fun, but it was all opinion and no evidence. All hos comic drooling over the quality of 10x8in film and he failed to show just how gorgeous it was. It's hard to do in a YT clip, of course. Why? Because he treated the two entirely different image capture/output processes as if they were identical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My 35mm chips and my APSC chips and my m4/3 chips.

Biased? It isn't me!

Nice collection. I've never managed to own more than one camera for a period of time. I start worrying one isn't getting used and I get confused about what I want to keep.

This happened a couple of years ago when due to Fuji's stuff not having great video (at the time - now Fuji video is great) I bought some M43 gear. Suddenly I was duplicating stuff and it felt too much for a hobbiest (who also does some photography for work, but nothing major). 

In the end Fuji video got better and I decided to ditch the Lumix camera. But it was a close run thing, the M43 gear I owned was very good. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11915
    edited November 2019
    That isn't all of it, there was another Sony A73 and another 5D4 not in that photo...you should see the lenses.  It would've been over 20.

Do you know the 1 camera I would never part from in that photo?

It isn't the Canon or the Sony...It's the Fuji X-Pro 1.

The AF SUCKS, DR isn't the best, mp is like 14mp so on the lower side but I love the camera more than the rest...for personal use.

In the real world, I take the Sony A73 every day of the week if i could, it is a Swiss Army knife that is sharp in every tool.
  • That isn't all of it, there was another Sony A73 and another 5D4 not in that photo...you should see the lenses.  It would've been over 20.
    Eeek. I've actually just offloaded some stuff. My TC 1.4x and TC 2.0x have been sat around gathering dust. Don't use them much on my 50-140mm f/2.8 as they make it even more unwieldy. When I need the reach I go for the 50-230mm, when I need the aperture I use the 50-140mm. 

Finally after many years I've got a pared down set of gear that includes the actual lenses I actually use, instead of in the past when I had lots of nice to have stuff that just got dusty on a shelf. It's taken me a stupid amount of money to get to this point.

That isn't all of it, there was another Sony A73 and another 5D4 not in that photo...you should see the lenses.  It would've been over 20.
    Eeek. I've actually just offloaded some stuff. My TC 1.4x and TC 2.0x have been sat around gathering dust. Don't use them much on my 50-140mm f/2.8 as they make it even more unwieldy. When I need the reach I go for the 50-230mm, when I need the aperture I use the 50-140mm. 

Finally after many years I've got a pared down set of gear that includes the actual lenses I actually use, instead of in the past when I had lots of nice to have stuff that just got dusty on a shelf. It's taken me a stupid amount of money to get to this point.
    It was getting a bit nuts, during the transition to Sony I shot 2 FF systems side by side. (on high heels no less)

All the Canon stuff are gone bar the 45/TSE which I am keeping.

The 16-35/2.8 had already gone when i took this photo.

Cripes! If Ms Goldtop sees those photos, she'll suspect the worse.
    goldtop said:
    Cripes! If Ms Goldtop sees those photos, she'll suspect the worse.
    The bad thing is that I have more Guitars and pedals than I have cameras and lenses.
  • I could get away with this with photography gear. It bores my wife to tears. And she couldn't tell one camera or lens from another. And so yes I've used this to my advantage.

Guitars though, not a chance. She loves my guitars and there's no way I can play that "oh this old thing, had it for ages" game. 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    Ultimately there are only two things that matter in photography. Are you finding the joy you want and/or are your clients happy?

If the answer is yes, you have the right kit. Everything is else is just distraction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Guitars though, not a chance. She loves my guitars and there's no way I can play that "oh this old thing, had it for ages" game. 
    A customer of mine said he only bought sunburst guitars to keep his Other Half guessing.

Meanwhile the kit zoom has turned up, so my just-landed A7ii is ready to go. The biggest upgrade for me is a practical one: first EVF (I'm so far behind the curve).

The kit lens is just to get started, while I work out what I actually need. As a first prime, I have followed TPD's advice on a Minolta MC 55mm/f1.7 and have been wandering around this site for other ideas: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/

@dazzajl - I agree 100%.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Has anyone used MPB? They are a used lens I'm interested in which is a lot cheaper than buying new. They claim there's no wear and hardly any signs of use. Is the site to be trusted?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Has anyone used MPB? They are a used lens I'm interested in which is a lot cheaper than buying new. They claim there's no wear and hardly any signs of use. Is the site to be trusted?

MPB are usually great to buy from and descriptions are always accurate. If I had to nit pick to find fault with them, I’d say it takes too long to get through on the phone  and their trade in prices sometimes fall quite a way below Jessops or WEX. 

Both of whom are worth checking for used stock too
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Thanks @dazzajl ;

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12419
    I’ve bought new and used gear from MPB and part ex’d stuff as well. Never had any issues with them. If anything the actual thing has been in better condition than their description on the site.  
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    MPB have a very good selection of used Fuji lenses at present. I was on the verge of going for a 16mm f1.4 in 'like new' condition but with Fuji's current £90 cashback offer a brand new 16mm lens with long guarantee is only £40 more than the used one - possibly even less with a Black Friday deal. I'm going to hold back for now.
    Several days ago I made a trip down to Bath where the annual Christmas Market was in full swing. The market extends right through the centre of the city with around 150 chalet-style market stalls. It:s a colourful affair and the standard of products on offer is mainly a class above the average street market. Add to that the character of Bath itself and you have a very attractive setting.

Expecting it to be busy I just took the Fujifilm X-E3 with me and a couple more of their small f2 lenses in my pockets. Busy is an understatement! -  the place was heaving. All stalls were three or four deep in bodies with very few breaks in the crowds. I wanted to take photos to capture the atmosphere of the market but that proved a challenge when being constantly jostled and peering through a sea of heads. So every shot was a grab shot with seconds to compose and focus which inevitably meant quite a few didn't make the grade. Most were taken with the 35mm f2 lens. Anyway here are some just to give a flavour of the day:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very nice @Jimbro66 ;

I'm not sure the E3 was a great choice for the job. You wouldn't have dragged me into Bath without something much heavier I could use on the crowds like a lump hammer

I think you've got some great moments through the throngs there. Perhaps having to shoot on instinct was a challenge worthy of you? 
    dazzajl said:
    Very nice @Jimbro66 ;

I'm not sure the E3 was a great choice for the job. You wouldn't have dragged me into Bath without something much heavier I could use on the crowds like a lump hammer

I think you've got some great moments through the throngs there. Perhaps having to shoot on instinct was a challenge worthy of you? 
    Ah, now that might explain the two or three guys I saw there with FF Canon DSLRs and those big white telephotos. I wondered how they were going to use that sort of gear in dense crowds and it didn't occur to me that they could use them as battering rams to clear the crowds! :D

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    @Jimbro66 there's some really nice framing on those shots!
    The more I read online about photography the more tempted I am to bail on my Canon DSLR and lenses to switch over to Fuji with some nice small primes. There's no point in having a decent camera if it's too bulky for you to ever have it with you, which means that these days most of my photos are on my phone (an iphone SE so not even a recent one!).
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    @Jimbro66 there's some really nice framing on those shots!
    The more I read online about photography the more tempted I am to bail on my Canon DSLR and lenses to switch over to Fuji with some nice small primes. There's no point in having a decent camera if it's too bulky for you to ever have it with you, which means that these days most of my photos are on my phone (an iphone SE so not even a recent one!).
    Thanks @BigMonka. Since defecting totally to Fuji I have found the system lacking in some respects compared to my previous DSLR kit BUT the overriding advantage for me is the Fuji’s portability. It means I don’t think twice about taking it when I go out whereas I used to pick up my heavy bag of DSLR and lenses and think “Can I really be bothered?”. As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you.