best cover band?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    p90fool said:
    I will however make an exception for Ian the Goat Sings Black Fucking Sabbath, they were awesome.
    I used to like the Ronnie James Dio interludes. V. funny indeed.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chenzmanchenzman Frets: 194
    edited April 2014
    Steel panther are damn awesome at covering plenty of hair metal classics ;) aswell as many others too :)

Check out their OTT version of whole lotta Rosie -
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1692
    edited April 2014
    Me with a wig on!

We had our wigs cleaned just prior to this, and mine turned into a sort of voluminous brown cloud around my head!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16362

I thought this was covers not tribs? Counterfeit Stones, Fred Zep in the Midlands... seen them loads of times.  

Missed this one - yes, I've seen Fred Zep, very enjoyable.

I used to seriously dislike the idea of tribute acts and they were, IIRC, the first one I saw that didn't make me want to cringe or wish I'd just stayed home and listened to a few favourite cd's.

Although FZ are clearly a tribute act the line between tribute and covers is a bit blurred sometimes, for example those kick up the 80's style acts. When I was phoning around pubs trying to get gigs for the ska band I worked out I was more likely to be succesfull saying something like 'we do a tribute to Madness and the Specials and other ska bands' than 'we are a ska covers band.' I'd probably say 'covers' is an outdated term now from a venue/ punter perspective.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6931
    edited April 2014
    EricTheWeary" said:

I'd probably say 'covers' is an outdated term now from a venue/ punter perspective.   
    I think you are on to something with this. I like a good covers band personally and don't care much for tributes - particularly if the 'real' band are still touring.

It's a bloody cheek if you ask me! Cashing in on someone else's name and talent.

There's mitigation for tributes to disbanded acts or dead stars I guess...

I think a cover band shows a bit more versatility and is more of a live jukebox in my mind and therefore sits better.

I also think cover bands are now targeting the more lucrative wedding/corporate scene and you'll see function and party band names used. Rather than playing for a few beers in the local...

Don't get me wrong I've paid to see tribs in the past but I've made a decision in recent years to not support them.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    DrJazzTap said:
    Kebabkid beat me to it! I was going to say Limehouse Lizzy.
    I've seen them a few times (supported them once) - one time they had Robbo sitting in with them.

Wonderful.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    +1 Hamsters - But idle bastards have given it all up now though... they had the benefit of my wedge a few times...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Thread over. 
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    57Deluxe;204433" said:
    +1 Hamsters - But idle bastards have given it all up now though... they had the benefit of my wedge a few times...
    It's a shame they're not about any more. they have had a good long run and they were booking shitloads of gigs each year, not only here but across Europe.
    Seen them loads of times in various venues, always packed, always brilliant.
    Little known fact, when voodoo chile was used BBCs top gear, it wasn't Jimi, 'twas The Hamsters.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    Don't get me wrong, I'd enjoy a good band who played songs from a single artist all night and some tribute bands are fantastic at it, but as soon as they start trying to look like the real thing it gets embarrassing for me.
    It's Elvis impersonator territory, and turns a potentially kicking band into a comedy act IMO.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I used to go and see a band that played covers called "The Perry Stone Band".

Technically they were perhaps not the best, but the effort, showmanship and energy they put in were top drawer.

It was basically about fun, a bit of a mickey take and most importantly he at no point had his head up his own chuffer.

Note: I would only go and see the Bootleg Beatles if I could be a Bootleg Mark Chapman. I bloody hate the Beatles.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom