Gibson Firebird banjo tuners

I've ordered a Chinese Gibson Firebird copy (http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13540/chibson-firebird#latest) and it may turn up with the wrong machine heads; ie not Firebird style banjo tuners. I've searched around but, apart from some stupidly prices (50 quid each) "vintage" Gibson parts being sold on eBay, I can't find a source of them. Does anyone know where you can get them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    EvilBay.com ?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990

i would go for the steinberger ones

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html

weight lesss than the banjo ones, work better and easier to find

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Does guitargeek have a set for sale?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 501
    I know the Steinberger ones are lighter but they look a bit weird and I prefer the look of the older ones.

I'll ask guitargeek. Does he have a Firebird that he's swapped over to Steinbergers?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    I've ordered a Chinese Gibson Firebird copy (http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13540/chibson-firebird#latest) and it may turn up with the right machine heads; ie not Firebird style banjo tuners.
    Edited for accuracy.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    Does anyone know where you can get them?
    I didn't think you could, so I was surprised to see them in the photo of your intended...

The machine that made them at Gibson was flooded out in 2010(?), I believe and they never repaired / replaced it. Maybe there is a source of Chinese copies? (Not meant to be as sarky as it sounds!)

The Steinbergers are good, though...
    I guess I'll find out whether there are Chinese copies when my Chibson arrives!
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I guess I'll find out whether there are Chinese copies when my Chibson arrives!
    Don't bet on it.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 64
    I'm interested to see how this works out because I've also ordered a chibson firebird but they said they couldn't do the headstock as per the Gibson, they can do the headstock as in the aliexpress post though and I'm fine with that.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    jesone said:
    ... they can do the headstock as in the aliexpress post though...
    Which one is that, sorry.....
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4221
    Some Chibson FB's do actually have Banjo Tuners, actually worth buying the guitar for the machine heads alone ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    indeed, thats why I have an old CSL that was missing its banjo tuners
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    I know they do 'look the part', but really they're a very bad idea. They're so heavy and stick out so far at the back that I think they are a contributing factor in the number of broken Firebird headstocks, as well as making the guitar unbalanced. The Steinbergers are just far better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well at the moment the tracking number the guy's given me still isn't showing up on Chinapost so I'm none the wiser. Interesteing to hear that some of the Chibsons have banjo tuners though. Sweepy - have you actually seen on in the flesh?