Orange PPC108 speaker upgrade?

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1408
Using an Orange PPC108 as a practice cab at home and took it out for a rehearsal today with a Quilter 101 mini head and it sounded great so I’m going to treat the cab to a new 8” speaker.
Any recommendations? Celestion or Jensen?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    It will be difficult to find a guitar-voiced 8" speaker that will take the power of that amp.

There's this Celestion 8" PA speaker, which might work - although it could be a bit dull-sounding.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/celestion-tf-0818-8ohm-8-pa-speaker-p-111.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw-dXaBRAEEiwAbwCi5o0Z4mSsntoXkiJom20eMWJOSfC3tuQb_R9AYNuXDwscsXkswkTL_xoCbisQAvD_BwE

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1408
    The stock speaker is 20w and I've seen some Celestions and Jensens with 25w power rating.
    I only had the Quilter up a third of the way yesterday and it was ok for a rehearsal. I wouldn't use it for a gig as it would get lost for sure, as we'd tend to play a bit harder/louder in a venue.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    The stock speaker is 20w and I've seen some Celestions and Jensens with 25w power rating.
    I only had the Quilter up a third of the way yesterday and it was ok for a rehearsal. I wouldn't use it for a gig as it would get lost for sure, as we'd tend to play a bit harder/louder in a venue.
    The problem is that you have no idea of the power output from the control setting. It could reach nearly full power at that 'one third up', depending on the gain structure and the strength of the input signal. Or it could be only 10% of full power - there is no way of telling. Even if you went over 20W at the rehearsal that doesn't necessarily mean the speaker would blow immediately, but there's a very good chance it will sooner or later.

If you're playing at home it will be fine, because any sensible home volume will be a few watts at most. But in a band situation, it's very difficult to tell how much power you're using - the amp at 20W and the amp at 40W might not sound very different in volume, but it will make a big difference to a 25W speaker... and with an 8", which is not going to be very efficient, you will be using more power than you would to produce the same volume through a normal 10" or 12" speaker.

So for an amp that you want to use in a band situation, I would not use a speaker of lower rating than the amp, unless you're very sure you know what the true power output is under those conditions.

I thought there might be bass (instrument, rather than PA - should sound better with guitar) 8" drivers available in that sort of power range, but at a quick search I haven't found any. The 8" drivers in the Peavey 1516 cab must be fairly high-rated, but I can't find a spec on them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    My Markbass Minimark has two 8" speakers, these can take a lot of power. Much cheaper option,  I would think, is to get a loaded 1*12" cabinet...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1408
    I suppose so. Though the 8" would come in handy for recording, so I might still change the stock speaker.
    What to get 1x12 wise is another story. Quilter goes to 100 watts on some settings, but I doubt I'll ever need to use max power with it...
    I am thinking of an Orange cab or one of the Zilla compact cabs maybe for 1x12....