25w triple rec

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16008

I heard a guy noodling on one of the 25 watt jobs today in guitar guitar and it was quite a sound I can tell you. Everything he tried in it sounded superb,,,strat...humbuckers,,,you name it sounded great

anyone like to pipe up about how practical they are for the larger 500 people venues....loud enough with a mad drummer are they?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16008
    edited July 2018
    It stopped me cold as the "sound in my head."..e..l..a....s...t...I......c
    tae be or not tae be
  • randellarandella Frets: 4317
    Was it the Mini Rectifier?  I didn't know they did a triple in 25w form, I'd be interested to learn about that!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16008
    yeah I think you are right...the mini
    tae be or not tae be
  • I had a Rectoverb 25W combo (which is I think essentially a Mini-Rec plus a reverb tank), and it sounded blissful.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4317
    hootsmon said:
    yeah I think you are right...the mini
    Ok, cool.  Mine's alright in a venue with about a tenth of your crowd ;)

I mic mine, and through a 1x12 it has plenty of punch for stage monitoring.  I have quite a bit in reserve.  I don't think it'd have enough unmiced with a crowd like yours though!  At rehearsal it keeps the drummer honest, and our guy is not subtle.

The sound is ace once you get it wound up a bit.  There are two modes on each channel - clean I tend to use 'pushed' mode which even with a Strat gives me plenty of compression and a nice driven edge if you dig in.  It responds very nicely to the guitar volume.

The dirty channel has 'vintage' and 'modern'.  If you're after Plexi-type vintage then the vintage mode will disappoint, it's still quite nasty.  Think JCM800-and-then-some.  The modern mode is filthier yet; I don't tend to use it but occasionally when I get the use of a 4x12 it can't help put a grin on your face.  Think modern driven thump (Foo Fighters etc.).  Again it responds very well to the guitar volume.

Both channels play very nicely with an SD-1.

TL;DR - It's a bloody great amp but check one to see if it'll do the business in your stage setup.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    I had one, and gigged it lots.
    Yes they can get very loud but it depends on cab/speaker choice. I found through a 1x12 it just about cut it, although clean head room was limited. I used it mostly with a 4x12 with very efficient speakers and it was plenty loud enough. Never got the clean channel past 5, and ch2 never really past about 4. Awesome sounding amp, and way more versatile than it looks.

But i found after a while that it just didn't sound 'big' enough for me, especially after changing bands and being the only guitarist. I also thought that if i'm lugging round a 4x12 then a 'proper' sized head wouldn't really add any more hassle.
    I do wonder if its the fact it's el84, i've since gone to a 30w el34 amp and that thing has so much punch and low end that my bass player is looking at upgrading his rig haha.