Kilts

What's Hot

Comments

• vale said:
    i think more guys should wear kilts. they look incredibly dashing (if worn with pride and not embarrassment). and more than kilts, cool patterned skirts, pleated skirts, not just the utilikilt thing.

women added trousers to their options en masse in the uk over a hundred years ago. long overdue time for hidebound men to liberate yourselves from that self-imposed 'mens wear' life-sentence!
    My mum (used to be a fashion designer) once noted that in some eastern countries, the men get the robes and the women get the bifurcated (trouser-ish) garments. As if them with the dangly bits are allowed to let them dangle, and them with no dangly bits who don't need dangle-room get the garments that don't allow dangle quite so well.

Maybe it's us northern europeans who got it the wrong way round?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    As a former Englishman and adopted Scot, I’ve never worn one and never will... too close to ‘cultural appropriation’ or whatever they call it. Fake, in other words.

I have worn a proper over-the-shoulder plaid at a historic re-enactment thing though - somehow that seemed just like dressing up. I did cheat and keep my t-shirt and boxers on underneath though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929

Really miss the opportunity to wear the kilt now. Wore it all through my youth and my early adult years. I live in England now, and everyone I know is either married, or won't be getting married, so my opportunities are few.

This is the Cameron of Lochiel Ancient Dress. Not my favourite, but you kinda need to wear it for your wedding. My preference would have been the Cameron of Erracht Regimental.

https://i.imgur.com/V5STYVT.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    I've often wondered if my notional Celtic ancestry is the reason for my penchant for wearing a frock at the weekend.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266

Kilts IMO should only be worn by Scots. Not by umpteenth generation English with distant Scottish roots. IE people like me.

Apparently we have a family tartan, but I wouldn't wear it: I was born in England, therefore I am English. So, for my traditional dress code I wear full Morris dancer regalia at weddings and formal events.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Snap said:

Kilts IMO should only be worn by Scots. Not by umpteenth generation English with distant Scottish roots. IE people like me.

Apparently we have a family tartan, but I wouldn't wear it: I was born in England, therefore I am English. So, for my traditional dress code I wear full Morris dancer regalia at weddings and formal events.

Scottish lineage passes through the female line - if you marry a Scots lass (Scottish or not) you join the clan!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Snap said:

Scottish lineage passes through the female line - if you marry a Scots lass (Scottish or not) you join the clan!
    my dad's side of the family are Preston clan
    does that mean I don't get to wear the cool blue tartan???
    boooo ! ! ! !
    play every note as if it were your first
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4688
    gringopig said:
    ICBM said:
    As a former Englishman and adopted Scot, I’ve never worn one and never will... too close to ‘cultural appropriation’ or whatever they call it. Fake, in other words.

I have worn a proper over-the-shoulder plaid at a historic re-enactment thing though - somehow that seemed just like dressing up. I did cheat and keep my t-shirt and boxers on underneath though!
    But can you name 5 of The Broons and Oor Wullie's mouse?

(without cheating on the internet lol)
    Hen, Daphne, Horace , the Bairn and Joe 
    Oor Wullies Mouse is called Jeemy 

I still get the book every xmas :-) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

boooo ! ! ! !
    You keep your current clan till you marry so you can still wear the blue ;)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
    edited August 2018
    My clan would wear a Robertson tartan. Pity I don't really like any of them! I much prefer the modern darker tartans, this is the one in my OP, Dark Lochnagar. Most of the men at the wedding were wearing grey or black tartan, it's very much the fashion right now, especially with grey dress jackets and black shirt/socks.

DiscoStu said:
    My clan would wear a Robertson tartan. Pity I don't really like any of them! I much prefer the modern darker tartans, this is the one in my OP, Dark Lochnagar. Most of the men at the wedding were wearing grey or black tartan, it's very much the fashion right now, especially with grey dress jackets and black shirt/socks.

Although these newer tartans are very fashionable i still prefer my Robertson Hunting Tartan

its Tradition init :-P 

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
    Help ma boab @mikeyrob73 ;!
    If I ever get married I would probably go with a clan tartan but as a guest I prefer the more metal look!

According to some clan sites I can also wear MacGregor but they tend to be red and red ain't my thing.
    Nah im not big on Red Tartan either , like the Robertson Modern all  a bit loud for me 
    DiscoStu said:
    Help ma boab @mikeyrob73 ;!
    If I ever get married I would probably go with a clan tartan but as a guest I prefer the more metal look!

According to some clan sites I can also wear MacGregor but they tend to be red and red ain't my thing.
    black leather with studs clan Judas Priest tartan?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nah im not big on Red Tartan either , like the Robertson Modern all  a bit loud for me 
    I loved my red Cunningham. Felt like I was wearing a picnic blanket :)
    Oh, and it still fits ;)

Clarky said:
    Snap said:

boooo ! ! ! !
    You keep your current clan till you marry so you can still wear the blue ;)
    I'm already married.. she's Cumbrian..
    which for the perspective of someone down here is somewhere near Iceland I think
    @Clarky - like the sausage? ;)
    edited August 2018
    This was a St Andrews Tartan i wore for a wedding last year which was nice with the blue jacket 

and this is a Black Watch which i wore on my Wedding day for my dear departed Grandad who was in the Black Watch