How much string buzz is acceptable?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    I think it depends on a few factors - maybe the easy answer is no buzzing at all, but some players tolerate a slight buzz more than others, often at the expense of trying to acquire  an easy slick action

There is a difference between fret buzz and string rattle - If the note doesn't work due to actual fret buzz, for what ever reason is causing that, then it needs attention - String rattle is effectively physical exertion on the string and the string can no longer oscillate freely - Some players pick harder than others, some stroke the string, so the same guitar with the same action might or might not rattle subject to who is playing it

To acquire a slick easy 'girly' action then I will personally tolerate a hint of string rattle, but I pick very lightly

How much gain you use might come into play as it  can 'hide' any string rattle

Generally most acoustic players will tolerate no rattle - However I'm led to believe that the likes of Tony Emmanuel use ultra light action + strings and it rattles like hell, but they need this slick action to allow them to play the way they do

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73003
    thegummy said:
    robgilmo said:
    So do you guys reckon 1.6mm at the 17th fret is a low action? It feels kind of on the high side of normal to me.
    For me that's a bit too low on the treble side and quite a lot too low on the bass side. I get string buzz if I set it that low.

I don't think it really matters what anyone else thinks about action, set it high enough to get rid of the fret buzz and see how you like the feel then decide if you'd rather put up with fret buzz to get a lower action or if you're okay with the higher action and no fret buzz.
    Yes, I would call that a low action, and for me too low. The minimum I can ever get away with is about 1.6mm (1/16") at the *12th* fret on the high E side and around 2.4mm (3/32") on the low E side.

I find that if it's too low it starts to affect the tone and sustain before it's clearly audible as buzzing.

I also only measure for reference, not when setting up. I set up to the minimum action that doesn't buzz or choke when bending, regardless of the measured height. The relief makes quite a difference to the measured action as well, and some necks just need more relief than others, even when the frets are levelled correctly - I'm not totally sure why, but I think the overall resonance of the particular neck comes into it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    depends on your degree of Tinnitus...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    thegummy said:
    robgilmo said:
    So do you guys reckon 1.6mm at the 17th fret is a low action? It feels kind of on the high side of normal to me.
    For me that's a bit too low on the treble side and quite a lot too low on the bass side. I get string buzz if I set it that low.

I don't think it really matters what anyone else thinks about action, set it high enough to get rid of the fret buzz and see how you like the feel then decide if you'd rather put up with fret buzz to get a lower action or if you're okay with the higher action and no fret buzz.
    Yes, I would call that a low action, and for me too low. The minimum I can ever get away with is about 1.6mm (1/16") at the *12th* fret on the high E side and around 2.4mm (3/32") on the low E side.

I find that if it's too low it starts to affect the tone and sustain before it's clearly audible as buzzing.

I also only measure for reference, not when setting up. I set up to the minimum action that doesn't buzz or choke when bending, regardless of the measured height. The relief makes quite a difference to the measured action as well, and some necks just need more relief than others, even when the frets are levelled correctly - I'm not totally sure why, but I think the overall resonance of the particular neck comes into it.

My "standard" set up is the same - 2/32" under the high E at the 12th, 3/32" under the low E (sometimes a little lower, sometimes a little higher) - and by and large people are very happy with their guitars.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    That's what I have under the 17th fret, It doesnt feel stupidly high but it does feel like it could be lower.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    robgilmo said:
    That's what I have under the 17th fret, It doesnt feel stupidly high but it does feel like it could be lower.
    On a Fender style guitar - that’s low. In fact on any guitar, going significantly lower is likely to have a negative effect on tone/sustain.

Sometimes actions can look higher than they are. My PRS DGT has very high frets - which gives the illusion of an action which is higher than it actually is. When measured from the top of the 12th fret, it’s about 1.4mm on the treble side and 1.6mm on the bottom E - which is pretty low.