For film and music fans a PSA

What's Hot
MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
Have discovered this week that HMV are now trying to compete on price with the likes of Amazon on films and cds.

I picked up the Nolan boxed set
Which Amazon are selling for £87 in HMV for £37.

Also every other bluray I checked the price on in HMV was around £1-£2 more expensive on Amazon. So if  you've not given up on consuming media from discs then get thee to thine local HMV to check out prices it might be shockingly normal pricing instead of outrageously overpriced! I also didn't check out the prices of games so have a look an tell me if they're the same/better/worse.

Was pretty handy timing as I was getting pretty ticked off with Netflix/Lovefilm (streaming) as I can't seem to find stuff worth watching that I've not already watched
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17701
    tFB Trader
    I'm amazed there is a Nolan box set. I thought "In the mood for dancing" was their only big hit. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013
    So is Christopher Nolan asking us to forget Insomnia?  Already done.   ;)
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    And yet it turns out that one of them was secretly a film director (and a man?!)...

The topsy turvy world of famous people...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17701
    tFB Trader
    I liked Insomnia more than The Prestige. 
    I believe he is...

Is it also the only film he's made without Bale, Cain and Tom Hardy in? Coincidence?! I think so!
  • It's is understandable leaving Insomnia out if you based it on being the only one he didn't write, but the box is called Director's Collection.  That said it wasn't the writing that let it down.  It was the casting of hammed up baddie Robin Williams and Al Pacino's inability to shut the curtains or purchase a sleep mask.  Both parts of the story are told better in the original.

In all honesty I don't think it's a terrible filmed it's just that unfortunately it had to follow up Memento.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I hear that Insomnia is a bit of a sleeper, and I think that Memento was good ...... I forget now. Inception was a good idea from the start, and Prestige was quality, but I haven't seen the Batman films, they were right off my sonar.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013
    axisus said:
    I hear that Insomnia is a bit of a sleeper, and I think that Memento was good ...... I forget now. Inception was a good idea from the start, and Prestige was quality, but I haven't seen the Batman films, they were right off my sonar.

My favourite bit from the Dark Knight Rise was when Batman says "grrrr grumble mumble, Gotham", then Bane stops for a moment, looks at him and says "mmmbble mmmbel derrrble Batman!".  Classic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27320
    The Prestige is a masterpiece.

I love the Batmans but that's his "hidden" gem IMO.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28813

My favourite bit from the Dark Knight Rise was when Batman says "grrrr grumble mumble, Gotham", then Bane stops for a moment, looks at him and says "mmmbble mmmbel derrrble Batman!".  Classic.

Dude! Spoiler alert!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And a got the quote wrong... pfft! "grumble grrr mumble, Gotham"
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Had a quick look today following this advice, old CDs are now £6 instead of £16! HMV must have employed someone high up who has actually been shopping before....
  • Myranda said:
    And a got the quote wrong... pfft! "grumble grrr mumble, Gotham"
    I was gonna call you out on that but I just watched it with the subtitles on and you were indeed correct - my bad.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1208
    Had a quick look today following this advice, old CDs are now £6 instead of £16! HMV must have employed someone high up who has actually been shopping before....
    Trouble is that they've shut down every one I used to visit regularly (Warrington, St Helens, Wigan, Manchester Central).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72734
    edited August 2013
    I went in there a couple of weeks ago to buy Now 85 (for my kids, in my defence) because they're always the same price online anyway, and I couldn't believe the prices of all the CDs. I had to restrain myself from buying most of them... I will be back at some point once I've worked out a priority list, it's actually cheaper than most of the online places now, and only marginally more expensive than secondhand stuff - maybe even cheaper than some.

I hope it isn't just a short-term last-ditch policy to clear stock before they call the whole thing a day. They could actually make the place profitable again if they can generate enough turnover x margin at these prices. Just need to get the word out...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5575
    Memento is quite possibly my favourite film.
    Does your BluRay have the Easter egg that's on the DVD whereby you can watch the whole film in chronological order? It's a great watch too.