Running 2 amps....hum :(

What's Hot
SlowclimbSlowclimb Frets: 0
I’ve now managed to build a pedal board I’m happy with, it’s then running into my trusty old Alesis Microverb and then into 2 amps. But I get a terrible earth mains hum, the only old school way I know to fix it is to remove the earth wire on one of the amps plugs...but I know that is about as safe as a very unsafe thing :)
what does anybody else do? Plenty of people run 2 amps and I’m sure they get rid of this annoying hum!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6885
    You need an isolation transformer on one of the amp audio feeds to prevent an earth loop. Gig rig do a hum buster and I think lehle do one as well.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72446
    You need to break the ground connection on one of the signal cables to the amps.

The proper way to do it is with a transformer-isolated 'through' box, but often simply cutting the shield connection in one of the plugs works fine. If that increases noise, try putting a 100-ohm resistor in the gap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Lehle and other assorted love songs

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72446
    SRich said:
    Lehle and other assorted love songs
    Glass Bright Onion

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the replies chaps, some great advice there!
    That thing looks spot on ecc83, I'm guessing I would just need a couple of 1/4 in to RCA adaptors and just run it through one of the channels you reckon?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9656
    It would be cool to mount one of those in a diecast box with proper jack sockets. Give it a snazzy paintjob and a boutiquey name!
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280
    edited August 2018
    +1 Bright Onion. Half the price of the Gigrig version.

The phase switch is very useful if you have three different amps that you pair up in different combinations and one operates out of phase from the other two.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited August 2018
    The Orchid transformer isolator doesn't cost an awful lot more than that one ECC83 linked to and is top quality (and no faff with connectors). Every gigging/recording guitarist should have one (or two)...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    The Orchid transformer isolator doesn't cost an awful lot more than that one ECC83 linked to and is top quality (and no faff with connectors). Every gigging/recording guitarist should have one (or two)...

Cannot argue with that.

Dave.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26640
    Another +1 to the Orchid units. I've got two (a single and a double), and I always have them in the gig bag for problem-solving hum issues at a gig or recording session.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28435
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • They both look ideal, thanks again :)