SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Linear L45A Vintage 1960's tube amp £105

What's Hot
xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
edited April 2014 in Amps £
I have borrowed @Surfguy13's blurb for this as he was so through and i really can't add an awful lot other than confirm that it sounds bloody excellent! :) 

This is a 1960s Linear L45A all valve amplifer.  As far as I'm aware these amazing little amps can be used as hi-fi amplifiers or guitar amplifiers.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

I have been using it with a 2x12 guitar cabinet and it sounds fantastic....it sounds equally good with a 1x12 cab.  These amps are really well made as you can see from the photographs and this amp is all original, certainly according to the original owner.  I can't see any parts that have been obviously changed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255

It has a Mullard white label EZ81 rectifier valve and a Mullard white label EL84 power tube which are almost certainly original to the amp.  These valves are worth a fair bit on their own.

The amp has it's original cage with which it was supplied when new but it also comes with a solid mahogany cabinet that was tailor made for the amp.  Remove the 3 knobs and the amp can be fitted into the mahogany case and then the knobs and the faceplate can be re-installed.  There is a jack socket on the front of the cabinet for an instrument.  There is a dedicated speaker lead that I am happy to include with the sale that plugs into the speaker out socket on the rear panel.  The lead is make from high quality lamp wire which is ideal as speaker cable and continues the vintage vibe.  The lead has two correct audio connectors that fit into the sockets in the rear of the amp and a Neutrik jack on the other end

imageThis image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The amp sounds amazing and the treble and bass controls really do work well offering a good sweep.  The bass control doubles as an on/off switch.  The amp will start to break up at about 12 o'clock on the volume dial depending on what type of pickup you're using.  Once you wind it right up the amp really does get dirty giving loads of valve drive.  Obviously the amp will break up earlier and is much louder with humbuckers.  I tend to use a treble boost pedal with all my amps and when you use one in front of the Linear  it increases the tone options and the volume massively.  It becomes a very usable amp.  It would be ideal as a practice amp or as a 'bedroom amp' because you can get an amazing valve sound at low volumes.

Anyhow, I'd be after £105, which is a bit of steal for a groovy 60's tube amp. Great for the studio and really packs a good punch. I can include a vintage accurate rangemaster clone too for anyone who really wants that classic 60's tone! (for a small upcharge :)

Thanks for looking! 
    bump for a very cool little amp! 
    bump
    bump
    Price drop bump... £100 posted
    Bump. Would be an EXCELLENT home amp/ studio amp. 
    Bump
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    I'm genuinely surprised to see that this amp hasn't gone.  It is a perfect amp for home use and if you stick a boost pedal in front of it it's quite frightening!!  :)  I had it driving a 4x12 one one occasion using a boost pedal and it was incredible.  Nice thing is that you can use it at sensible 'home' volumes and still get superb drive from those lovely old Mullards.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited April 2014
    I'm trying to resist this but probably won't be able to for much longer ... So, just to clarify:

- it does work at sensible volumes (obviously I'm not expecting it to overdrive, just provide a nice clean base sound to run a Formula no5 clone into)?

- could I just unplug the the speaker lead from my Blues jr. and use the jr. as a cab for this?

- where are you based?

Hi NPP,

it is a great base for pedals at home with a clean sound (that's what I've been using it for primarily)

The speaker out for the amp is a cable with a jack plug on it (I.e. it doesn't have a jack input for a speaker cable only the cable on it if that makes sense?). So you couldn't use the cable from your blues Jr. HOWEVER, I do have a tiny Hammond enclosure that I could just wire two jack sockets to get in so you could run it like that. Sounds more complicated than it is in all honesty! Its a simple task.

I'm based in Lincolnshire. Its small and light though so I'd be happy to ship it. Fully insured of course.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    sounds good. 

I'm driving from Sheffield to Cadwell Park (near Louth) for a trackday on Tuesday ...

@NPP, unfortunately I'm out all day on Tuesday. I have good packing stuff though so I'd happily have it sent by courier
    bump